"Bored with a camera" motor pics! ( M1, Honda)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite as clean as my Integra, but still very clean! I've seen a lot of those older SOHC's with a lot of varnish, but yours seems good to go for another 190k!

People recommend ARX for everything it seems like...sometimes a clean looking engine is actually clean. No need to blow $20 on a product that isn't going to get it any cleaner lol.

Naturally someone always chimes in "but what about the piston rings?". Thats the go to issue for people running ARX in clean engines. I'll bet good money is piston rings are clean and free moving.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Not quite as clean as my Integra, but still very clean! I've seen a lot of those older SOHC's with a lot of varnish, but yours seems good to go for another 190k!

D'oh, I re-read this and I didn't mean to imply that yours has a lot of varnish, it doesn't. I was just saying that I usually see worse and that yours doesn't have a lot of varnish like the others I've seen
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I don't think it's a bad idea to run Auto RX, I just wouldn't expect it to clean the underside of the valve cover or the rocker arms.

There are two real surprises.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I don't think it's a bad idea to run Auto RX, I just wouldn't expect it to clean the underside of the valve cover or the rocker arms.

The varnish is caused by vapor deposition. I don't expect Auto RX to clean anything unless it has constant flow over it.

The varnish is caused by vapor deposition. I don't expect Auto RX to clean anything unless it has constant flow over it.

+1

The greatest benefit of Auto-RX isn't cleaning for looks. It is restoring compression and cleaning the stuff you don't see. Auto-RX would very likely improve the combustion efficiency of this car but not make this varnish magically disappear.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The greatest benefit of Auto-RX isn't cleaning for looks. It is restoring compression and cleaning the stuff you don't see. Auto-RX would very likely improve the combustion efficiency of this car but not make this varnish magically disappear.

But I have no reason to suspect that the rings are cruddy!
As mentioned, there are zero signs of excess blow-by or failing oil control.

Car is driven rather gently. 99% of my driving is putting around town at low revs. I do make a point of exercising the engine when merging onto the freeway, driving up hills, etc. A little Italian Tune Up action never hurts!

Last edited:
Mines just a baby, turned 77,000 this weekend but I think it will look just as good at 100,000 miles. It's lived a life of Amsoil ACD since it's 3rd oil change up until it's last change where I switched to Redline 10w-30.

Like compression and oil rings, which get hosed down by oil. Yeah right.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I believe that's more from the extreme heat and polymer breakdown.

I don't want to get off topic and get this thing locked so feel free to not answer me. Auto RX is a bunch of esters, right? Redline is an ester. I'm assuming RX has a few different types, some of which are better at cleaning than the Redline esters? You can see where I'm going with this, is Redline's cleaning ability underrated around here, because I don't hear much about it in regards to cleaning an engine.

wink.gif

Rings get more than just oil mist on them, which is about all some valves cover ever see. I doubt much Auto RX would be carried in that oil mist. A lot of that mist is fuel and water vapor that made its way past the rings, and then hits a hot engine part and cooks off, leaving whatever contaminants it was carrying behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back