Bolt recall - What happens to the batteries?

I was joking about the bad quarter thing for LG, but I guess it was accurate!

Battery recycling is an emerging capability. There are some companies that can do it.

Remember that a battery is thin sheets of copper or aluminum, with a polymer separator, and coatings on each electrode. The metal fools are recyclable, the challenge is getting the bonded powders off in a way that is practical, as that is where the nickel, cobalt, and other valuable materials are, plus the Li. Processing that stuff will be the challenge…

Battery recycling is an emerging capability. There are some companies that can do it.

Remember that a battery is thin sheets of copper or aluminum, with a polymer separator, and coatings on each electrode. The metal fools are recyclable, the challenge is getting the bonded powders off in a way that is practical, as that is where the nickel, cobalt, and other valuable materials are, plus the Li. Processing that stuff will be the challenge…
That seems like a good business opportunity. Wish I were younger, I'd do something like that in a second.

That seems like a good business opportunity. Wish I were younger, I'd do something like that in a second.
Have to wonder how viable it will be in the USA. All the electrolylate is flammable, and will need to be recaptured. The powders once stripped of metals will need to be recaptured for land filling, then messing with Ni, Co, etc. doable but the regulations most place will be painful. More painful then dealing with hogs heads of powders that are made elsewhere and just coated here.

Remember that a battery is thin sheets of copper or aluminum, with a polymer separator, and coatings on each electrode.

last time Chevy tossed a bunch of Chevy Bolt batteries they got tore down, imaged and tested then put up for sale here

In 10 years or less lithium powered EV’s will start to become obsolete, in 15 years they most likely will not exist anymore.
The future is Solid State Batteries and Toyota may be the first to market but all the majors are working on it as well.

They are all in the race ….

Last edited:
In 10 years or less lithium powered EV’s will start to become obsolete, in 15 years they most likely will not exist anymore.
The future is Solid State Batteries and Toyota may be the first to market but all the majors are working on it as well.

They are all in the race ….
I do think the SS batteries are coming. But I think the lithium is going to stay. Electrochemical energy storage and the movement of ions has finite limits. There is a reason lithium was chosen, as it seems there are no better alternatives. I sound like a naysayer, but we have been utterly unable to form an electrolyte with a higher number of ions to move back and forth (rechargeable). Yes, we can make a very high energy density cell that consumes aluminum, for example, however, to call such a device rechargeable is quite a stretch.

I think Elon and company are on the right track with the 4680 cell. Refined to the point of being the best. Easy to cool, easy to package, fewer connectors and all of 'em on the top.

The solid state batteries clearly show promise, but we must remember that the solid electrolyte does not stop dendrite formation, meaning that a compact structure may be more likely to short internally. Furthermore, those superb energy density specs only happen at elevated temperatures, somewhere around 175 deg F, falling off markedly at room temperatures, and according to some, dropping to uselessness at freezing. At the moment, I am unaware of viable solutions.

The former CTO of Tesla, J.B. Straubel formed a start-up here in NV called Redwood Materials that is now recycling scrap materials from the Panasonic side of the gigafactory.
From the article: “He believes that they can reach half the price of mined materials within 10 years.”

Back