Boar's hair brush

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
How many use a boar's hair brush? With little/no pressure, how well does it work cleaning, and how does it do w.r.t. swirls? Id hate to leave fine swirls from the bristles.

THanks!

First of all, I have no flipping idea what you are cleaning. That said, why don't you use an antistatic brush? Options include the ionizing (1500 microcuries) Staticmaster and soft camel hair brushes.

Car wash... Boar hair brushes are sold as a superior item to was a car with, because it holds water and doesn't go limp... Supposedly.

It does a good job only if the vehicle is moderately dirty, otherwise you need to rewash it a second time. It seems to leave noticebaly less swirls.. also I apply no pressure at all and do soak the vehicle with foam gun before and during the washing.

I've never been a big fan but I do use smaller brushes to wash emblems, along shut lines, etc. Like LINKMAN said, they're OK for light washing when the car isn't too dirty. But it doesn't have the frictional cleaning ability of a mitt or sponge. From what I've heard from other detailers, used properly they do not leave swirls.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It produces far less surface abrasion than any mit or sponge and reasonably won't agitate stuck on mud, goo, or roadkill. It does work very well as an every day or every week washing tool. I put mine on a standard pole. A lot less stooping, bending, and getting my belly wet, especially in the cold weather.

I'm of the opinion that any washing tool will leave some swirl. One can only minimize it. IHMO, a good boar's hair brush does less damange than a mit.

Originally Posted By: WagonBoss
I'm of the opinion that any washing tool will leave some swirl. One can only minimize it. IHMO, a good boar's hair brush does less damange than a mit.

I tend to agree. But my new Shmitt isnt leaving any marks when I use the car duster first before hitting it with some water and soap.

Guess you guys are gonna have a heart-attack if ever you see my Simoniz spin brush, or worse yet, the coin wash brush that makes contact on my car.
LOL.gif

Another alternative might be a professional quality window brush. Very soft, with long bristles to hold water and sweep away dirt, instead of grinding it into the finish like sponges would.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
To add to JHZR2's post, what mfg & where do you purchase said boar's hair brushes.

I bought mine from brush.com about 8 years ago. FWIW, it still looks brand new - no loss of bristles. Griot's has one and I remember seeing them on autopia or autogeek too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back