BMW X5 4.8i 6 oil samples for your review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stspinner
I am currently about 2,0000 miles into another run of Castrol 0w-40 and looking for any insight as to continue with Castrol or go back to the Mobil even though it doesn't have the BMW 01 LL rating at this time.

I'm for Castrol Edge 0W40 with LL01 approval. OCI could be extended to 8-10K miles.

Aren't all these results skewed since no oil was ever run more than 1 oci? Most vehicles have oil remaining in the system when you do an oil change so to see any real results you'd need to run each oil for several oci's to see its affect.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
Aren't all these results skewed since no oil was ever run more than 1 oci? Most vehicles have oil remaining in the system when you do an oil change so to see any real results you'd need to run each oil for several oci's to see its affect.

Yes, as if you compare VOA the 0w-40 Castrol my UOA has Moly left over from the Shell and Mobil 1, I guess I'm not sure that waiting 1 to 2 years on an UOA to get a pure reading ( 3 to 4 OIC) is really going to help if you start to see an issue.
The math is quite easy to figure comparing VOA to current UOA without 2 years of the same oil, as with most comments it an opinion NOT Fact, excluding the few that post on here that are actually very knowledgeable and have the expertise to offer their insight and that is truly appreciated !

It hasn't anything exceptional I think. And Yes I'm using it...but it's quite cheap here
smile.gif

You did not add oil to the last run of Castrol. Did the Castrol burn less than the other oils?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back