BMW X5 3.0si E70 2007 and G12+ coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just has work done by a small BMW ONLY repair shop on N52K 3.0si engine.
They put PINK coolant into it ... I looked at the bottle it states OAT G12+... (PN-C-40007, ASTDM 3306 ASTDM 4656)

I have the impression this can damage head gasket... BMW OE
uses (not that colors are indicative of anything these days) blue G11 whch I believe is IAT technology..
I read OAT must not be used for BMW as it can damage gaskets...

1. can the team at btg shed some educated light on it if I should rush to do the change ASAP...
I am totally upset and I am thinking of draining coolant and flushing with distlilled water.

2. I would do today but there is electric pump so despite following bleeding procedure I have
the fear that if once I remove coolant from radiator and replenish pressurized tank with distilled water
I could IN THEORY by crap shoot not get no coolant to the pump immediately and it could seize)

I think blue (I think BMW uses G11) and G12+ must no be mixed. I am thinking
just draining radiator (thus leaving several gallons in engine) is a problem as G12+ in the engine would mix with the BMW blue G11 being added.
So it seems I have to first add distilled water and keep removing water until almost all G12+ is removed... only then I can add Blue BMW OE

3. Deos anyone have a handy link documenting the TOTAL amount of coolant there is in BMW X5 3.0si E70 2007 and G12+ coolant?
Someplace it states 2 gallons, some places 3 gallons

I would appreciate knowledgable answrs here from people versed in chemistry more than I am :)

I should have kept check on ALL and asked on BTG before letting them just do their stuff...
One would think you can just relax and rely on some people to do a professional job
frown.gif

Some people have similar issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nUMqwma77E

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1423949

Last edited:
Its always always always been blue. G11 is approved, that was used in older VW up until about 95 I think. But its always blue.

Your BMW came from the factory with G-48, it's not the same as G11
G48 : OAT + Silicates + 2-Ethylhexanoic acid in some formulations
G11 : Silicates + Borates + Benzoate + Some also have 2-Ethylhexanoic acid.
G12 / G12+ is a full OAT coolant, which mainly uses Sebacic Acid and some also 2-Ethylhexanoic acid.

I would drain the cooling system and put in G48 of any brand.

Last edited:
Actually, to be precise the moron service may have put G12 not even G12+.
Thanks for the comments guys as usual BITOG rocks,

(I am may drain the system by dilution with distilled water by running
the electric pump until I see clean water, then I will be adding G30. ).

G12+ being similar to G30 makes me hope a bit.
I am NEVER gonna go to see that BMW workshop again or trust any BMW service with what they do.

To make it more crazy... same guy was trying to sell me original DTF-1 as only fluid that will work for X5 E70 Transfer Case
while obviously messing up badly with thing as simple as coolant.

I added the excellent chart with a acorrection (I think there is a pretty obvious error n there)
G11 MUST NOT BE MIXED with G12. This is why G12+ was created up to avoid mixing issues that happen when G11 and G12 got mixed..

G11-G12-G12plus.png

That chart isn't super trust worthy, it suggests that G05 has "the special advantage of cast iron engine compatibility"

Suggesting that G12, G12, G12++ and G13 are not, which isn't true.

Don't over complicate this. Just flush out the existing coolant and fill it with the original coolant (G48).

Luckily you have the electric water pump, so you can flush the whole system with a friend if you would like to make sure it was done right. Remove the return line to the expansion tank and place in empty bucket. Key forward, full heat, first fan speed, hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds and it will put the pump into bleed mode. Drain the old stuff out and keep refilling until the blue runs out. The pink and blue may make some wild colors, worst case do it twice.

Originally Posted by Audios
Luckily you have the electric water pump, so you can flush the whole system with a friend if you would like to make sure it was done right. Remove the return line to the expansion tank and place in empty bucket. Key forward, full heat, first fan speed, hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds and it will put the pump into bleed mode. Drain the old stuff out and keep refilling until the blue runs out. The pink and blue may make some wild colors, worst case do it twice.

There are two lines to the expansion tank in X5 3.0si . Upper and lower. The lower one is a huge pain to remove and reinstall - I did it last week to replace the sensor.
I was thinking or removing the upper line and placing it in a bucket (not surewhat you refer to as return line. You mean the lower one attached under pressure tank or upper coming from radiator?)

So my plan for the next weekend is:

1. Filling in with distilled water and doing electric pump bleed until it comes clean as water.
Then
2. Adding BMW coolant. It takes a bit more of coolant due to dilution(and some maths to establish resulting coolant/distilled water ratio)... but i want all things right with no orange/red crap.
One thing i had been worried about was seizing the pump as the coolant LUBRICATES it... I am hoping water will be fine for the time as the coolant switch is happening.

Thanks to the excellent BITOG posters validating my strategy here

(I did some removal today just from expansion tank for testing purposes...orange ...the BMW specialized mechanic put in ORANGE. I am totally upset - you just cannot trust some of those people.
This was the ONLY time I actually let go without assuring all is as expected. I am glad I did a lot of other work myself. It would cost me an arm and a leg and might still be
some joke of the year. He later claimed it is a 'control thing; to ask why anyone would ask about coolant poured in...)

Last edited:
Actually, I realized when electric pump runs the squirting comes off the UPPER hose to the pressurized expansion tank.
So I think this is the hose I will use to have the electric pump dump all red/orange coolant into a bucket while I keep adding water
to the expansion tank until only water comes out of the squirting upper hose.

Once all I have getting out of the upper squirting hose is all distilled water I will start adding concentrate (6L) to make sure there
is 50./50 blue coolant/distilled water.

Great support at BITOG guys.
Much appreciate any of your comments/thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back