BMW Sludge Pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
bmw engines are junk!
we see more bmw engines here than anything

I don't think that is an accurate statement at all.

What I do think is some of the owners (like all makes) have a "different" look at what maintenance should be and how they apply it.

Has NOTHING to do with BMW and their motors. Possibly their requirements for maintenance.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

What I do think is some of the owners (like all makes) have a "different" look at what maintenance should be and how they apply it.

Has NOTHING to do with BMW and their motors. Possibly their requirements for maintenance.

+1. I've owned BMW 6, 8, and 12 cylinder cars and they are reliable and smooth (although the 12 cylinder engines are very complicated) but they must be maintained. A friend has a subi with 160k and has done basically no maintenance. A BMW would not tolerate that. Same for all German engines, Porsche, Mercedes, VW/Audi. They are built to run at high speed all day long but they need to be maintained.

People buy these cars without realizing the cost of maintaining them. People do the 15,000 mile oil change at a local lube shop with dino. I've seen it. I have an 01 330ci, had it for 10 years. It's been a great car so far and I do all the repairs myself.

He should have pulled the oil pan and scrubbed the engine down with a degreaser , running additives will only clean the passages , it's not going to clean all the surfaces .

Without pulling the pan he has been very lucky the sump screen has not got plugged up .

I pulled the pan on a low milage 54 Pontiac with a flathead engine years ago because it had done a lot of sitting and non deturgent oil had only been used in it . As you can imagine the pan was full of sludge and it had ran on borrowed time . I cleaned the pan , oil pump amd screen and replaced all the gaskets as well as the motor mounts and ran it on a good grade 10W30 after that with a few 1K oil changes . Engine ran flawless .

Last edited:
man i want a sludged up motor to work on!!
maybe ill go buy a $400 car to play with
extra sludge please!!!
ya know for science
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
any updated pics yet?

it looks like the last post on the bimmer forum was 11/23/10, so, no, no new pics. Hopefully they keep it updated.

This is what happens when idiots own cars and don't even give a second thought to changing the oil and filter. Obviously they never even cracked open the owner's manual or they would have seen the maintenance schedule in there. What a waste of a great engine....sadly, this one was in a BMW.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

+1. I've owned BMW 6, 8, and 12 cylinder cars and they are reliable and smooth (although the 12 cylinder engines are very complicated) but they must be maintained. A friend has a subi with 160k and has done basically no maintenance. A BMW would not tolerate that. Same for all German engines, Porsche, Mercedes, VW/Audi. They are built to run at high speed all day long but they need to be maintained.
BMW engines require no more or less maintenance than any other similar engine. I've got over 175k kms on mine. It runs well and doesn't burn any oil. I've given it regular oil and filter changes. How is that different from any other engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back