BMW R1100S 2,300 Castrol Grand Prix 20w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
17,800 on the bike. I suppose a UOA wasn't really needed being that these bikes with a dry clutch and separate sump for the transmission are so easy on oil. But, why not? I wanted to see if anything was wearing since I didn't have service history from this bike I bought in 2009.

The Castrol Grand Prix 20w-50 is synthetic motorcycle oil that was put in along with an OEM filter at a shop I was at in Quebec. Track down Yves Faucher at Les Entreprises Montecristo in Elgin Quebec if you're in need of service. He works mostly on European bikes and specializes on classic/vintage varieties.

Its current fill is M1 15w-50. $26 for a 5-quart jug at WM; can't beat that. There's a guy on ADV Rider that has 400k on his bike using M1 15w-50 every 5k with no repairs other than maintenance. I don't plan on more than 5,000 miles annually and it'll get one change in the fall before I put it away for the winter.

352ohdv.jpg

Viscosity was "slightly low"...not bad really. My K75C cuts Mobil 1 15W-50 down to a 30wt after 4000 miles.

I will be interested in your next oil analysis on the Mobil 1.

Yeah, I don't forsee any big issues. It mostly sees my 50 mile round trip commute. I've also got two gallons of Red Line 5w-50 that I'll be using after I drain the M1. I may just start using Rotella T6 once that's gone so I can have one oil for all my vehicles.

What's in your 1200?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Yeah, I don't forsee any big issues. It mostly sees my 50 mile round trip commute. I've also got two gallons of Red Line 5w-50 that I'll be using after I drain the M1. I may just start using Rotella T6 once that's gone so I can have one oil for all my vehicles.

What's in your 1200?

Right now @ 5500miles I have Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 and will drain and sample to lab @ 6000 miles. I may run Rotella T in all my bikes down the road. I have also been pondering the Castrol 5W-50 "classic car" Syntec for the bikes.

Last edited:
Good deal. The M1 15-50 or T6 is a tough choice now that WM has both in jugs.

Where and Why are you running the RedLine Shockproof "heavy"?

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Good deal. The M1 15-50 or T6 is a tough choice now that WM has both in jugs.

Where and Why are you running the RedLine Shockproof "heavy"?

It's in both the transmission and final drive. I was getting some weird shifts with what I'm assuming was OEM fluid and then Bel Ray. It's smooooth now. Great stuff.

Where and Why are you running the RedLine Shockproof "heavy"?[/quote]
It's in both the transmission and final drive. I was getting some weird shifts with what I'm assuming was OEM fluid and then Bel Ray. It's smooooth now. Great stuff. [/quote]

I have gone to 75W-140 with good results in Tranny and final drive but then I had no complaints with the OEM type hypoid oils.

I wasn't really sure what was in there when I got it... just assumed OEM. It hadn't had much attention and no records of service, so I don't really know what was in it. It's going great now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back