BMW N54 Twin Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Turkeybaster115
The MSDS I used as an example in the interaction with alan, was a shell forumal synthetic 5W30 oil, not the quaker state.

I had a feeling something like this was the case, which is why I said SOPUS instead of Quaker State.

The Quaker State reference I made later was to the 20w-50, which is a synthetic blend per Quaker State's own marketing.

Originally Posted By: Turkeybaster115
The only thing I'm worried about right now is what the 20W oil might do to my bearings.

As long as you're not redlining your engine right after a cold start, nothing.

But again, given that the 20w-50 in question is a synthetic blend, and you have many options for fully-synthetic xw-50s (one of which you already own), I don't think it's a good oil to use.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I had a feeling something like this was the case, which is why I said SOPUS instead of Quaker State.

The Quaker State reference I made later was to the 20w-50, which is a synthetic blend per Quaker State's own marketing.

But again, given that the 20w-50 in question is a synthetic blend, and you have many options for fully-synthetic xw-50s (one of which you already own), I don't think it's a good oil to use.

True, its per Quaker states own marketing, and the statement in their MSDS. Whats driving my change to the Quaker state oils, is simply the rapid change in Total's formulations. I am still awaiting word about the formulations in their 0W30& 10W50 before I make my decision.

I understand. I'm saying that doesn't make sense.

You were having second thoughts about the 10w-50 because you thought it contains group II, which it doesn't, and you're still considering trading it for an oil that you now KNOW contains group II. What gives?

I just got an e-mail from alan Denniston of total. He just gave me the MSDS for Total Quartz 0W30, and Total Racing 10W50. I am sticking with these oils, and subbing Quartz 0W30 for spring/fall/winter, and Racing 10W50 for racing.

Racing 10W 50 MSDS: Chemical Nature: The product is made from synthetic base oils (polyalfaolefins).

Quartz 0W 30 MSDS: Chemical Nature: The product is made from synthetic base oils (polyalfaolefins).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Oh, yikes. Didn't realize you didn't have the cooler.

Motul makes 300V in 15w-50. RLI also has a 15w-50. I'd look at those for sure.

How cold does it get where you are? I'm thinking either of those oils would probably be okay for year-round use, too.

Just to add to this... Redline also has a 15w50 and a 10w60.

Without actual engine testing to the BMW LL-01 oil test sequence no one can determine what oil is best for this application. Any BMW LL-01 approved oil of the proper viscosity should serve you well however. A UOA will tell you the proper OCI if in doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back