BMW cartridge oil filter - correct installation?

filter.jpg

Both of my BMWs use the style of oil filter shown in the picture. These are the first cars I've had that used this particular style of oil filter with that little "post" off to one side. The post fits into a mating hole in the oil filter housing. My dumb question is this: Am I supposed to put the filter into the oil filter housing first making sure the post lines up with its mating hole, then install the oil filter cap, or install the filter onto the center post of the oil filter cap, then install the pair into the oil filter housing? The reason I ask is because I am unsure when I install them as a pair if the little "post" is fitting into the hole in the oil filter housing; I can't tell by feel. Would the cap even thread on if the post wasn't in the mating hole in the filter housing? Hope this makes sense.

Our Hyundai's have a post on the filter as well. They also have a locking piece that goes through a hole in the post after inserting. I personally would always mate the filter into the cap to ensure it seats well and i can lock it in place.

Edit: I see now that the post goes into the housing for you so our setups are opposite.

Last edited:
The filter installs on the cap. Place the assembly into the oil filter housing and rotate until the "post" finds its home. It won't (easily) go together any other way.
That's what I've done for both cars as best I can, I just never really felt the post "find" its home whilst threading the cap on. Maybe the way it's designed, it's basically foolproof?

That's what I've done for both cars as best I can, I just never really felt the post "find" its home whilst threading the cap on. Maybe the way it's designed, it's basically foolproof?
There is definitely a possibility of someone ham-handing it, so not exactly foolproof. If someone just took the "jam it back together" approach, the filter could be damaged. Not sure if this would light up a warning light, but there would be minimal filtering, on a car where folks are going with some pretty long OCI's

There is definitely a possibility of someone ham-handing it, so not exactly foolproof. If someone just took the "jam it back together" approach, the filter could be damaged. Not sure if this would light up a warning light, but there would be minimal filtering, on a car where folks are going with some pretty long OCI's
On both cars, when I installed the oil filter housing, there was no feeling that I was "forcing" anything. Hopefully I did it right! :)

BMW software was always sensitive to any inconsistencies, therefore you will get CEL immediately if there are discrepancies in oil pressure. Forget one of those small O rings, and CEL will light up.
Luckily, the small o-ring comes pre-installed on filters for both my BMWs. The only one I have to install is the single big one.

Admittedly I’ve done both. In the early days (I have a 2007 and started DIY around 2010 when the free changes ran out (I would pay $55-68 for an interval change out of pocket).

One day I said oh s*** I put the cartridge in the housing then closed the cap. In a panic I put a towel around the housing and opened it. No difference all was fine, was afraid maybe it didn’t stay in place.

One tip is my car takes 6.8 qts and I pour some fresh oil into the housing during the new oil fill.

Call me a weirdo but I prefer the other way (metal filter) even though it’s no big deal

My biggest issue is it doesn't feel like the filter is going deep enough into the filter housing to reach the small hole before I start threading the cap on. In the end, I guess if the filter wasn't finding its home properly, like others have said, it would cause a CEL.

Install it in the reverse sequence observed when the cap is removed. If the filter stays in, then it should go in first.

Install it in the reverse sequence observed when the cap is removed. If the filter stays in, then it should go in first.
Forgive me for being obtuse, could you explain a little more? I'm not 100% sure I'm tracking. FWIW, when I remove the cap, the filter is attached to a stem on the center of the cap. The cap and filter come out as one unit.

Back