BMW and Prius owners are the least courteous?

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by spackard
First study is by Paul K. Piff, who in my opinion is an academic racial activist. Was at UC Berkeley, now at UCI.
Second study (cited in the CNN article) mentions the first study.

I don't know if it was Piff, but around 1998 Brock Yates(IIRC) had a column in Car and Driver that referenced an article from some hand-wringing bed wetter that lectured the affluent driving public that they should not drive expensive cars because it makes other drivers feel bad.
Seriously.

Hahaha oh Jeez.

I love these types of people. "You can't drive an expensive car because it makes others feel bad". Okay, you mean the other people who are likely wealthier than I, but just choose to spend their money on different things than I do? I also love the comments people make to me as a younger (29) BMW driver. "Did daddy buy you that?" or "wow, what an expensive car are you trying to show off?". Nope, it cost under 9 grand, I work on it myself, and it's 11 years old. Most of these comments conveniently come from middle aged people or boomers in expensive SUVs that cost 4-5 times what my car did.
lol.gif
Just the fact that someone would make assuming comments like this at a gas station shows what kind of person they are. I would never assume someone's situation or comment to them about what I believed their situation to be. Must be a generational thing.

It's not generational. It's just the old 'class envy' disease. Plenty from all generations unfortunately have been indoctrinated into that type of specious 'thinking'.

re: jeepman3071
you already work in insurance and saw people and their (not) thinking at their worst.
you already work in education and ... the ^^^ same.
Why do you even wonder?
It's a marathon. not a speed course. Because you are enjoying the driving in the curves/twisties of life...

Part 1: "Just the fact that someone would make assuming comments like this at a gas station shows what kind of person they are. I would never assume someone's situation or comment to them about what I believed their situation to be."

Part 2: "Must be a generational thing" = "assumption of someone's situation....what I believed their situation to be".

Cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:
I've never cared what my neighbors think- as I don't buy my cars to make them happy; in 1983 when I bought my 1973 Bavaria it was one of three BMWs in the entire county. I used to have some other elected officials ask me how I could drive a BMW and continue to get reelected in a rural county with lots of UAW families, and I told them if people wouldn't vote for me because of what I drove that was their problem- not mine. In my last election I never even changed my FB profile picture- a Long Beach Blue M2 executing a perfect tire smoking drift...

Originally Posted by pandus13

you already work in insurance and saw people and their (not) thinking at their worst.
Why do you even wonder?
It's a marathon. not a speed course. Because you are enjoying the driving in the curves/twisties of life...

Oh I never wonder, I know people are crazy.
lol.gif
Just interesting to me since many of these people were clearly well off, driving loaded new Tahoes, Grand Cherokees, etc, so it's just odd. I guess they just don't know cars or what they are worth.
21.gif
Maybe my car looks newer than it is.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Part 1: "Just the fact that someone would make assuming comments like this at a gas station shows what kind of person they are. I would never assume someone's situation or comment to them about what I believed their situation to be."

Part 2: "Must be a generational thing" = "assumption of someone's situation....what I believed their situation to be".

Cognitive dissonance.

I speculated it to be a generational thing, since the 5-6 times it has happened since I owned the car, all of the 5-6 times the people making the comments were 50+. It has nothing to do with their situation, and unlike them I would never assume something to be true enough to feel I should confront them about it.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by pandus13

Why do you even wonder?

Oh I never wonder, I know people are crazy.
lol.gif
Just interesting to me since many of these people were clearly well off, driving loaded new Tahoes, Grand Cherokees, etc, so it's just odd. I guess they just don't know cars or what they are worth.
21.gif
Maybe my car looks newer than it is.

Than I guess they where trying a "reverse" compliment?

Back