BMW 5w30 Castrol oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new '08 BMW 335i.
Free maintenance for 4/50.
BMW has their own 5w3p0 synthetic oil made by Castrol.
I don't plan on going 15K miles on a change recommended by BMW.
I figure I'll change the oil myself at 7500 miles and let the dealer do the next freebie.
How's the quality of BMW synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Colt
I recently bought a new '08 BMW 335i.
Free maintenance for 4/50.
BMW has their own 5w3p0 synthetic oil made by Castrol.
I don't plan on going 15K miles on a change recommended by BMW.
I figure I'll change the oil myself at 7500 miles and let the dealer do the next freebie.
How's the quality of BMW synthetic?
Congrats on your purchase!
thumbsup2.gif

I would use a synthetic in a BMW engine as from what I have seen/read they can be quite hard on an oil. If you were to run something like M1 you could easily go up to 10K miles.

Saving you time, money and aggravation.

Just make sure it meets your specifications in your owners manual.

How do you drive the 335? The turbos and direct injection seem to be hard on the oil from what I have read. There is a long thread here about it.
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1200595#Post1200595
Short trips might do better with 5000 mile changes, check out my UOAs, I have a couple with the BMW oil from my free 4yr/50Kmile services.

I have switched to Red Line 5w-40 for my 2003 330Ci mostly due to the higher temps here in Texas.

Last edited:
I didn't know this engine had a Turbo. I would use a high quality Synthetic like Amsoil if you intend to go past 5K Miles otherwise M1/Pennzoil Platinum should hold up for 5K or less with a turbo.

Check that whatever oil you use meets BMW's specs. Would be a shame to do damage to the engine.

Personally, I would stick to what the manufacturer says.

If it makes you sleep better at night then do it by all means...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: shanneba
How do you drive the 335? The turbos and direct injection seem to be hard on the oil from what I have read. There is a long thread here about it.
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1200595#Post1200595
Short trips might do better with 5000 mile changes, check out my UOAs, I have a couple with the BMW oil from my free 4yr/50Kmile services.

I have switched to Red Line 5w-40 for my 2003 330Ci mostly due to the higher temps here in Texas.

Actually I just read that BMW will change my oil once a year or 15K.
So other than maybe a change at 1500-2000 mile(I'm OCD),I'll let the dealer do a yearly change whhich will be maybe 5K miles as it's a pleasure ride vehicle.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I didn't know this engine had a Turbo. I would use a high quality Synthetic like Amsoil if you intend to go past 5K Miles otherwise M1/Pennzoil Platinum should hold up for 5K or less with a turbo.

Check that whatever oil you use meets BMW's specs. Would be a shame to do damage to the engine.

Twin Turbos for maybe twice the problems.Crossing my fingers.
All the X35 series models have had some fuel pump issues.
Some say about 10%.
The car is so quick,handles so well and is a blast to drive.
I've owned many car but never owned a BMW.Thought I'd give one a shot.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Looks like one of the best fluids made. On a par w/GC, Mobil 1 0w-40 and PZYB.

Pennzoil yellow bottle is not on par with those 2 oils in high oil distress applications. It is a shame to see a senior poster say such a thing.

My 135i oil temps in the summer usually are at 230F to 240F and sometimes 245F. Good oil choice combined with sufficiently short oil change intervals in this engine are critical.

In my experience, GC is better than the BMW 5W30, but the BMW stuff is pretty good.

My dad's 540 used OCIs half as long as the standard interval, sees lots of highway miles and isn't driven in an exciting manner. With the dealer oil at 80,000km it sounded like a diesel - low end knock, lots HLA clatter etc... When freshly changed it was a little better, but sounded like [censored].

On my recommendation he tried GC (since I like it in my E39) and it was like a transformation. He also did a round of ARX later and that cleared everything up.

Now he's extended the OCIs a little bit and its quiet right to the end.

With a 335 your principal concern will be oil degradation due to fuel dilution. There are many threads on this topic with DI engines, not just the BMW twin turbo.

If I had a shiny nearly-new car with a DI engine, I'd seriously consider some UOA sampling and Dyson analysis to determine the interval for YOUR engine, YOUR climate and YOUR driving habits. Changing it often is probably going to be more important than whether you use GC, BMW, Amsoil AFL or another oil. Also, be sure that while under warranty you use a BMW LL-01 or LL-04 oil - not one that is "suitable for) those standards. I wouldn't take chances with your engine warranty, especially until the longevity of these units is determined.

Its a shame what BMW is doing. They used to promise you full SCHEDULED maintenance for the 4/50 time frame, but now its done strictly by the computer on the car. You MIGHT get 3 oil changes out of it.. Big whoopdeedoo!

Unless you are big on the environment and feel a need to conserve ( in which case you would keep using your old car and not encourage the production of automobiles by buying new) I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER go 15K on ANY oil on a quite expensive car. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Its also the reason I have decided to never buy another used car unless the person selling it can PROVE they changed the oil properly.

The main problem with 15k oil changes is that people will ignore it and think they can go a little longer. Want people to drive at 70 mph? Set the speed limit at 55. Same concept.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
Its a shame what BMW is doing. They used to promise you full SCHEDULED maintenance for the 4/50 time frame, but now its done strictly by the computer on the car. You MIGHT get 3 oil changes out of it.. Big whoopdeedoo!

Unless you are big on the environment and feel a need to conserve ( in which case you would keep using your old car and not encourage the production of automobiles by buying new) I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER go 15K on ANY oil on a quite expensive car. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Its also the reason I have decided to never buy another used car unless the person selling it can PROVE they changed the oil properly.

The main problem with 15k oil changes is that people will ignore it and think they can go a little longer. Want people to drive at 70 mph? Set the speed limit at 55. Same concept.

To counterpoint...

Not that I would ever run the full interval, I've seen UOAs from people who have and it *is* possible even with BMW 5W30. Further, BMW is paying for the minimum oil changes but nothing stops you from doing more. From what I've seen the OCI computers haven't changed their programmed interval before/after scheduled maintenance was included so a typical BMW vehicle leaser who doesn't give a [censored] will be treating the vehicle the same before and after scheduled maintenance was included. BMW's policy on paid-for maintenance has been the same since the program was introduced. The schedule changed to long intervals or lifetime on everything BEFORE the program started. I believe if the OC computer goes red, it affects your warranty. I don't think all that many people "push it" 25% farther.

Long intervals are all the rage in Europe. Oil is expensive, and it's hard to stop the green angle where using less of it is a good thing. Combine that with "low maintenance" being all the rage here - North Americans don't expect to do anything but add gas and "drive" (which usually consists of drinking a latte and talking on the phone in giant oversized automatics).

On the topic of buying a used car - what mileage would be on this hypothetical car? Where exactly do you draw your value limits? Just how much extra engine wear (which gets measured in ppm on a UOA) would an extended OCI with an APPROPRIATE oil have caused compared to the money saved on purchase price and depreciation?

I only buy used cars. Mostly because if you shop carefully the money saved is more than worth it. Also because I can get a more "interesting" car for the same money. For the last purchase for the same money it would have been between a new Honda Accord (either i4 with stick or V6 with auto only) or a 45,000km (30k mi) 3 year old excellent condition BMW 5-series with sport package and stick. I'm ecstatic that I chose the used BMW. 8 years and 120,000km later, it really makes no difference that it wasn't new except that it allowed me to buy it at all.

If the OLM goes into the red, it does effect the warranty on the engine IIRC, at least as far as any oil related problem.

My OLM, when the dealer does the change, is alway between 14-15K miles.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
I'm almost certain Audi Junkie was being PZYB facetious.

It's hard to fault a sincere appreciation for PZYB.....

Colt. First off, congrats on the new car. You are going
to get all kinds of opinions and recommendations on your
BMW from people who don't know what type of oil a BMW needs.
BMW's or most European engines require oil that is A3 rated
and for BMW's has the BMW LL-01 or LL-01/04 certification.
DO NOT repeat DO NOT use any regular synthetic 5w30 oil
sold in North America, ie Mobil 1; Castrol Syntec; Pennzoil
Valvoline etc for they are not BMW approved. They are rated
A1 and not A3 and are not BMW approved.
Now for oil changes, BMW will pay for 25000 km (15000 mile)
oil changes only. Any changes that you do between their OCI
is covered by the owner. Change your oil in between (7500 miles)
at minimum. Myself, I change every 8000 km or 5000 miles.
I've been using Castrol Syntec 0w30 mostly. I'm running Syntec
5w40 now because I had 6 litres which I had to use up. Since
you have a new car, stick with the BMW 5w30 for warranty.
You can bring your own if they let you and use Castrol 0w30.
I hope this helps you Colt.

2KBMW

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Colt. First off, congrats on the new car. You are going
to get all kinds of opinions and recommendations on your
BMW from people who don't know what type of oil a BMW needs.
BMW's or most European engines require oil that is A3 rated
and for BMW's has the BMW LL-01 or LL-01/04 certification.
DO NOT repeat DO NOT use any regular synthetic 5w30 oil
sold in North America, ie Mobil 1; Castrol Syntec; Pennzoil
Valvoline etc for they are not BMW approved. They are rated
A1 and not A3 and are not BMW approved.
Now for oil changes, BMW will pay for 25000 km (15000 mile)
oil changes only. Any changes that you do between their OCI
is covered by the owner. Change your oil in between (7500 miles)
at minimum. Myself, I change every 8000 km or 5000 miles.
I've been using Castrol Syntec 0w30 mostly. I'm running Syntec
5w40 now because I had 6 litres which I had to use up. Since
you have a new car, stick with the BMW 5w30 for warranty.
You can bring your own if they let you and use Castrol 0w30.
I hope this helps you Colt.

2KBMW

Thanks.
My plan now is to change the oil myself at 1500 miles with BMW 5w30 oil I just bought online.
My dealer will do one change a year if under 15K miles and I'll only do not even half that yearly.
So one free yearly change at each 5K miles or so should work fine for me and the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back