BMW 5w30 Castrol oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt
I recently bought a new '08 BMW 335i.
Free maintenance for 4/50.
BMW has their own 5w3p0 synthetic oil made by Castrol.
I don't plan on going 15K miles on a change recommended by BMW.
I figure I'll change the oil myself at 7500 miles and let the dealer do the next freebie.
How's the quality of BMW synthetic?

Colt,

I heard the factory synthetic oil was Mobil 1 and not the Castrol brand. Then perhaps the BMW's version is just "Synthec" they use. In addition I also heard the delaership won't change your oil unless you go through the entire year. My friends BMW has a policy in doing this only once per year. He wishes he could do his OCI twice at least so the idea of changing it more ofter depends on the dealership and may not be a stabdard policy from the factory. Also annual oil changes are fine IF you have a filter that can handle all that stuff easily.

Durango

The Factory BMW Synth 5w-30 is a version of Castrol TXT Softect sold overseas. The S54 powered M uses the Castrol TWS 10w-60.

IIRC, it's either once per year or every 15k miles, whichever comes first. (Mine is done every 15K. The next one is the last on their dime.) Your friend's dealer will change the oil before 15K if he wants, but it will be at his expense. (That's what they told me when I wanted it done early.)

The M1 0w-40 is factory approved. I think it's the only M1 that is. It is FF on Mercedes AMG and Porsche.

And, as Craig mentioned, the GC 0w-30 is a good oil. Also factory approved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durango
I heard the factory synthetic oil was Mobil 1 and not the Castrol brand.

Considering that even the oil cap of a bmw engine features a Castrol logo, I doubt it.

Quote:
In addition I also heard the delaership won't change your oil unless you go through the entire year.

He mentioned that he only does 5k miles a year, so those annual oil changes should not be a problem in his case.

Quote:
Also annual oil changes are fine IF you have a filter that can handle all that stuff easily.

I believe the OEM Mann filters are rated for 20k km or 2 years. I change mine once a year, and they always come out in good shape (visually and UOA confirmed).

Knowing the oil temps BMW engines run and the fuel dilution problems these engines have I wouldn't use the Castrol BMW 5W30 even though it meets ACEA A3,B3 and LL01.. I'd be looking for something more robust and change it more often. Nice car, expensive engine, oil is real cheap.

A friend of mine does the same thing, he buys M1 5w-30 and does his own oil change at 7500 miles, then takes his BMW to the dealer for the dealer change at 15000 miles. I've tried to get him to use M1 0w-40 b/c it's BMW approved and has shown itself to be an excellent oil, but he's able to get the M1 5w-30 at a better price so that's what he does.

unless I saw some valid reasons against it, if it was my car, I'd use M1 0w-40 b/c its shown itself to be an excellent oil, it meets all the specs, and it's readily available.

Just re-read your original post, it's more of a question about the quality of the BMW synthetic. As far as I know the BMW synthetic is a very good quality oil to use, but I think someone one time posted the price that BMW sells it for and it was quite a pretty penny if I remember correctly

The quality of the BMW oil is very good. I would try to find an oil that meets all the BMW specs and change it at the halfway point as you plan on doing, then have the dealer change it at the 15,000 mile mark. Those engines can be hard on oil, I wouldn't use anything not spec'd by BMW, especially during the warranty period. Even if the only place to get the oil is from BMW that is where I'd be buying it. It's a nice ride, use the proper oil, with the OCI strategy you have and you'll enjoy the car for many years. Some cars like the BMW are more expensive to own, it just goes with the territory. Enjoy the ride. JMO

Originally Posted By: sicko
A friend of mine does the same thing, he buys M1 5w-30 and does his own oil change at 7500 miles, then takes his BMW to the dealer for the dealer change at 15000 miles. I've tried to get him to use M1 0w-40 b/c it's BMW approved and has shown itself to be an excellent oil, but he's able to get the M1 5w-30 at a better price so that's what he does.

unless I saw some valid reasons against it, if it was my car, I'd use M1 0w-40 b/c its shown itself to be an excellent oil, it meets all the specs, and it's readily available.

Just re-read your original post, it's more of a question about the quality of the BMW synthetic. As far as I know the BMW synthetic is a very good quality oil to use, but I think someone one time posted the price that BMW sells it for and it was quite a pretty penny if I remember correctly

I just bought some BMW 5w30 to use when I hit 1500 miles and will let the dealer do a change once a year (5K miles) after.I didn't want to do what your friend does using M1 and then going to the dealer and getting BMW 5w30.
I like Amsoil but many like yourself say that the BMW Castrol stuff will be fine.Especially at 5K miles a year.
Maybe I'll go M1 0w40 after the warranty period if I keep the car that long.
The 335,the 135 and 535 twin turbos engine seems to have a high pressure fuel pump issue since '06.I've read about 10% have this problem.Some owners replacing the fuel pump 2-3 times.That won't be me.

Thanks all for the replies.

Originally Posted By: sicko
As far as I know the BMW synthetic is a very good quality oil to use, but I think someone one time posted the price that BMW sells it for and it was quite a pretty penny if I remember correctly

It's $6.25/quart at the dealer. If you're a member of BMWCCA, you get it for less than that.

Considering that GC costs $6.59 at AZ when not on sale, I don't think the BMW oil is all that expensive.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
The quality of the BMW oil is very good. I would try to find an oil that meets all the BMW specs and change it at the halfway point as you plan on doing, then have the dealer change it at the 15,000 mile mark. Those engines can be hard on oil, I wouldn't use anything not spec'd by BMW, especially during the warranty period. Even if the only place to get the oil is from BMW that is where I'd be buying it. It's a nice ride, use the proper oil, with the OCI strategy you have and you'll enjoy the car for many years. Some cars like the BMW are more expensive to own, it just goes with the territory. Enjoy the ride. JMO

My 1995 Club Sport has over 115,000 miles on it, and I've used Mobil 1 for all but two OCIs. I'm the original owner and the maintenance and repair costs(including three sets of sticky track tires) have averaged less than $400/year. I perform some minor maintenance(Oil Service, Inspection I, etc.) myself, but I let my local indie BMW tech or the dealer handle everything else. It's still my favorite car for long trips and twisting two lanes.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
JAG, are you serious about those oil temps, in a huge sump?

Yes I was serious about the oil temperatures. Today they were at 240F. That's with a factory oil cooler. Sump size is 7 quarts.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
M1 5W30 is only ACEA A1 (to thin HTHS to low) and doesn't have LL01. M1 0W40 does meet spec. Some people just shouldn't own a BMW

So, Mobil 1 isn't good enough for a BMW?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Originally Posted By: sprintman
M1 5W30 is only ACEA A1 (to thin HTHS to low) and doesn't have LL01. M1 0W40 does meet spec. Some people just shouldn't own a BMW

So, Mobil 1 isn't good enough for a BMW?

M1 5w-30 isn't.

BMW..now that is my dream machine.....750IL would be nice.....oh well, it is a dream machine for me. I shall aspire to own one someday.....I have to save my pennies, nickles and dimes...lol

19.gif

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
750IL would be nice.....

That's a pretty big boat. I hope you're not planning to replace your Mustang with it or you may be somewhat disappointed. :)

BMW..now that is my dream machine.....750IL would be nice.....oh well, it is a dream machine for me. I shall aspire to own one someday.....I have to save my pennies, nickles and dimes...lol

19.gif

A 2006 Mustang V8 vert was mine...... Until my insurance agent showed me that insurance on a used Z4 was cheaper.

And to an earlier statement above, M1 0w-40 is good enough for a BMW, being that it meets the specs.

19.gif

I saw a beautiful loaded to the balls '10 750il stickered at $103K.
The AWD is coming in a 750 in Oct.

Originally Posted By: tragen
And to an earlier statement above, M1 0w-40 is good enough for a BMW, being that it meets the specs.

Many on the BMW forums use Mobil 1 0w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back