BMW 5w30 Castrol oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BMW 330Ci oil temps, taken from the onboard computer, also run high even with a 7 quart sump and without the 335's twin turbos.

An hour long drive in about 72 degree temps in April had the oil temp at 219, most of the trip was with the cruise set at 65-70mph. Oil temp started at 92, 12 minutes later it hit 201.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
AJ M1 0W40 meets spec, M1 0/5/10W30 doesn't. What part of that don't you understand?

You said it was too thin and too low HT/HS, not that it didn't "meet the spec". Since the viscosity is dependent on the temps, how can you claim Mobil 1 30 weight will not work in every case, despite the "spec"? JAG is running his BMW at +240f oil temps, that's 20 WEIGHT territory.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
12.5cSt@+100c = 9.36cSt@+240f

20 weight?

Viscosity is not linear, so your calculations may be off. Is it possible that a on oil with higher HT/HS holds its viscosity better in higher temps?

Besides, every oil will become thinner as the temps rise. Such is the nature of the beast. It doesn't mean that we should start calling it a different weight.

But if we follow your logic, then if a thick Xw-30 oil turns to a 20-weight at those temps, then I'm guessing a thinner Xw-30 oil would turn into a 10-weight at those temps. What's your point?

AJ the BMW spec is ACEA A3,B3 and LL01. M1 0W40 meets that, M1 5W30 is only ACEA A1 (to thin, HTHS to low). So very simple to understand, well if you have a brain that is.

Two weeks ago my little turkey you were 'advising' and I use the term loosely, that BMW ownersd should use dino even though oil temperatures are 105C+ and can hit 135C. Best you keep your idiotic opinions to yourself.

Two weeks ago my little turkey you were 'advising' and I use the term loosely, that BMW ownersd should use dino even though oil temperatures are 105C+ and can hit 135C. Best you keep your idiotic opinions to yourself.

You guys can feel free to take this [censored] somewhere else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
Its a shame what BMW is doing. They used to promise you full SCHEDULED maintenance for the 4/50 time frame, but now its done strictly by the computer on the car. You MIGHT get 3 oil changes out of it.. Big whoopdeedoo!

Incorrect Statement.

BMW will change the oil under free maintenance on an annual basis regardless of mileage. In my case, I will get 2 free oil changes in under 18 months... and I will have less than 15K miles total. 1st free change was at 7600 miles (1-year after purchase). They did NOT reset the iDrive service interval (purposely according to the SA) and told me to bring it back for another oil change when the indicator signaled to do so.... So that means, I will be getting a second change at around 12K miles according to the remaining miles till next service.

BMW 5W30 High Performance Synthetic (Dealer Supplied) is excellent oil and so far seems to perform well in my N54 twin turbo engine. Personally I use German Castrol 0W30 when I do my own oil changes, but have no problem letting BMW use their recommended oil on the BMW paid maintenance oil changes.

I would not put any Mobil-1 oil in the N54 except the 0W40 European formula, as it meets ACEA A3, and BMW-LL01 specs (same as the BMW and GC oils). If BMW recommends extended drain intervals for your engine, then an ACEA A3 / LL-01 certified oil is best if you are still under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
M1 5W30 is only ACEA A1 (to thin HTHS to low) and doesn't have LL01. M1 0W40 does meet spec. Some people just shouldn't own a BMW

So, Mobil 1 isn't good enough for a BMW?

M1 5w-30 isn't.

At +90c, it's 12.6cSt, a 40 weight.

LOL.gif

At +90c, it's 12.6cSt, a 40 weight.
LOL.gif

SAE grade is not measured at +90C. It is measured at +100C. By the same token, at -90C it might be a 4000 weight, but who cares?

Well, we have plenty of drivers who don't get up to full temp, +90c being representative of them.

Do you get a lot of drivers whose oil temps do not rise above -90c?

+90c is certianly closer to +100c than -90c is.

Ten degrees difference is esentially a full SAE grade difference, but you knew that.

Funny how some are so quick to denounce an oil as "to" thin when we have perfect examples of 5w-30 working fine in Euro cars which "spec" 40 weight (>3.5cP).

Someone from another forum, ran PP 5w-30 in an Audi 1.8t, driven in summer by an enthusiast with a perfect UOA at 6k. That's a turbo with elevated oil temps.

What about Dr.Hass's examples? Not too much comment on that from the peanut gallery.

Too much lame theory and not enough actual practice on this forum sometimes.

I guess you missed that the oil temps run 105C+ not 90C. selective vision...

Originally Posted By: Colt
I recently bought a new '08 BMW 335i.
Free maintenance for 4/50.
BMW has their own 5w3p0 synthetic oil made by Castrol.
I don't plan on going 15K miles on a change recommended by BMW.
I figure I'll change the oil myself at 7500 miles and let the dealer do the next freebie.
How's the quality of BMW synthetic?

I guess I did.

JAG is running his BMW oil at +240f, into a 9.5cSt 20 weight. Running M1 10w-30 at +105c results in the exact same visc.

Don't let the facts confuse you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back