BMW 335I

Status
Not open for further replies.

md1

I have a new to me 2008 BMW 335I twin turbo with 42000 miles. My OC will be 5000 to 6000, So I am not worried about LL-01 or long drain times I want the best for the turbos and engine. In my market I can get Pennzoil PP, Valvoline, Castrol, Liqui Moly 4200, Royal Purple 5w-40 and Eneos 5w-30 and 0W-50. Please let me know which you would use.

Id still look for LL-01 even if not going the whole OCI.

ACEA A3 is an absolute must, IMO.

Ive heard good things about Honda HTO-06 for turbo engines, but Im not sure if we can find that and A3 together, and Id rather have A3 for higher HT/HS.

Without seeing spec sheets for the Lurbo Moly and the Eneos, Id venture on saying none for right now...

Any off-the-shelf synthetic that meets ACEA A3/B4 should work well:

Valvoline SynPower 5w40
Mobil 1 0w40
Castrol Edge 0w30
Castrol Edge 5w40

Most can be had on sale for $6/qt or less.

I ended up with Castrol Edge 0w-40. Advance had it for $29.00 for a jug and an K&Noil filter. Picked up 2 jugs and two filters. It was b3/4 rated hope this was a good choice.

The LL-01 spec is about more than merely drain intervals, just as is the A3/B4 spec from which it derives.
BMW thinks your engine needs an oil with HTHSV of at least 3.5.
The Castrol you bought meets this requirement, and I believe it also meets BMW LL-01.
Other readily available conforming oils are Syntec 0W-30 and M1 0W-40.
The Eneos 0W-50 or any of the 5W-40s you listed probably do not claim LL-01 as being met but would probably work okay in the engine.
Since conforming oils are readily available at reasonable prices, you may as well stick with them.
This is a fairly young machine.
Experiment with oils when it reaches beaterdom, the fate of all cars that are regularly used from every price tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back