BMW 0W-20 (factory fill), 1,934 miles (ICE), 2022 BMW X5 PHEV (B58 I-6)

Factory fill. Six months use. Fluid time is ICE miles, component time is ICE + EV miles. I presumed this would be LL-17 FE when I entered data in the Polaris system but when compared with an LL-17 FE VOA it clearly is not, but it is consistent with a couple of other recent BMW factory fill UOA's here. Looks like BMW uses a break-in oil with a good shot of Moly. In any case, I refilled with 0W-30 LL-01 FE in anticipation of more fuel dilution than is present (turbo DI). Even at this lower-than-expected dilution percentage I will probably ask the dealership to use 0W-30 at the "complementary" oil change based on the suggested low starting viscosity of it as indicated on a VOA here (9.92). It will probably end up at a high 20 grade.

Attachments

• oil analysis 11-22-2022.jpg
    oil analysis 11-22-2022.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 204
Factory fill. Six months use. Fluid time is ICE miles, component time is ICE + EV miles. I presumed this would be LL-17 FE when I entered data in the Polaris system but when compared with an LL-17 FE VOA it clearly is not, but it is consistent with a couple of other recent BMW factory fill UOA's here. Looks like BMW uses a break-in oil with a good shot of Moly. In any case, I refilled with 0W-30 LL-01 FE in anticipation of more fuel dilution than is present (turbo DI). Even at this lower-than-expected dilution percentage I will probably ask the dealership to use 0W-30 at the "complementary" oil change based on the suggested low starting viscosity of it as indicated on a VOA here (9.92). It will probably end up at a high 20 grade.
Factory fill is a different supplier (Fuchs, Shell, etc) so it won't be comparable to dealer oil (Castrol). In addition I wouldn't jump the the conclusion that they use a break-in oil for the first 10k mile OCI.

Also I wouldn't anticipate more fuel dilution. Even the amount in the report is negligible based on the fact it's a brand new engine and will not settle down until you've put around 20k miles on it.

Last edited:
Factory fill is a different supplier (Fuchs, Shell, etc) so it won't be comparable to dealer oil (Castrol). In addition I wouldn't jump the the conclusion that they use a break-in oil for the first 10k mile OCI.

Also I wouldn't anticipate more fuel dilution. Even the amount in the report is negligible based on the fact it's a brand new engine and will not settle down until you've put around 20k miles on it.
Shell.

.. I wouldn't jump the the conclusion that they use a break-in oil ... .

Also I wouldn't anticipate more fuel dilution. ...

If a totally different oil formulation (that certainly by no coincidence contains high levels of anti-friction/extreme pressure components) than specified by BMW for future use in the engine was initially installed (or there was assembly lube used that subsequently disbursed into whatever oil was installed), would that not be a "break-in" scenario?

RE dilution, If continued use is similar to past use, I hope so. But if daily, multiple cold-starts with short runs (as electric use is) happened, I would expect much more. Not sure BMW can overcome physics.

If a totally different oil formulation (that certainly by no coincidence contains high levels of anti-friction/extreme pressure components) than specified by BMW for future use in the engine was initially installed (or there was assembly lube used that subsequently disbursed into whatever oil was installed), would that not be a "break-in" scenario?

RE dilution, If continued use is similar to past use, I hope so. But if daily, multiple cold-starts with short runs (as electric use is) happened, I would expect much more. Not sure BMW can overcome physics.
Sure there's assembly lube mixed in with the initial fill but I wouldn't classify the differences as a "break-in oil". Break-in lubes are used for short duration. Take "M"-cars as an example. They get their first service at around 1,200 miles (Oil and Diff).

Your vehicle has no such service interval.

Remember VOA/UOA's don't capture all of the additives present.

... Take "M"-cars as an example. They get their first service at around 1,200 miles (Oil and Diff).

Your vehicle has no such service interval.

"...
From Mike Miller's [of Roundel and Bimmer Magazine] maintenance schedule:

'Before they started paying for maintenance, BMW performed a break-in service at 1,200 miles on new cars, which included changing the engine oil and filter, manual gearbox oil, and differential oil. With the advent of Free Scheduled Maintenance, BMW stopped performing break-in services except on M cars.
..."

Is there a different oil formulation (other than by grade) used as initial fill in M cars?

"...
From Mike Miller's [of Roundel and Bimmer Magazine] maintenance schedule:

'Before they started paying for maintenance, BMW performed a break-in service at 1,200 miles on new cars, which included changing the engine oil and filter, manual gearbox oil, and differential oil. With the advent of Free Scheduled Maintenance, BMW stopped performing break-in services except on M cars.
..."

Is there a different oil formulation (other than by grade) used as initial fill in M cars?
Ya I'm well acquainted with Mike and even had the opportunity to meet him at an O'Fest years ago. I was a BMWCCA member for about 15 yes.

The assumption is that it has always been different because of the 1,200 service. In any case BMW ran 10w60 in their naturally aspirated M cars from early 2000's until around 2013. They then switched to turbo charging. I suppose you could peruse the UOA section looking for reports on factory fill of both M and non M cars.

The assumption is that it has always been different because of the 1,200 service. In any case BMW ran 10w60 in their naturally aspirated M cars from early 2000's until around 2013. They then switched to turbo charging. I suppose you could peruse the UOA section looking for reports on factory fill of both M and non M cars.
The 10W-60 spec'ing was a bit inconsistent between different markets. For example, the S62 in the rest of the world, post 03/00, called for LL-01.

Back