Bluetooth stereo for workshop

JHZR2

Staff member
In one of my garages, Id like to add a stereo of some sort that lets me stream bluetooth from my phone.

I have a very tiny portable speaker that has bluetooth, and is powered by an internal battery and USB. I also have a DeWalt bluetooth speaker that uses standard 20V batteries.

I dont need anything complex, I have various unpowered standard speakers already that I could use, though I wouldnt be opposed to a new speaker set. What I dont want is some throwaway item with an internal proprietary battery.

I kind of would like portability (not mandatory), but I dont want to spend $ on a portable speaker that will be done for when the battery wears out. My DeWalt unit is OK, but sound quality isnt great. Im not an audiophile per se, but want it to sound better than these little jobsite single speaker jobs. I could get a USB power source, a Tunai Firefly DAC dongle, and anything with a headphone aux in port, its an option. Million ways to do this, looking for recommendations...

Waterproof and dropproof are not requirements. This will not be used outside.

Last edited:
What is your budget?

Review:

Every year we get a family Christmas present. I picked up a BumpBox Flare 8. WOWWWWW!! Everything it promises. I should have gotten the Flare 6. The Flare 8 is large. I'd check out the Flare 6.

My two 'toolbelt' sized BT speakers did not have their batteries fail..the mini and micro usb charging ports failed, and were beyond my abilities to resolder the broken joints at circuit board.

The second uses an 18650 cell. I have an 18650 holder with pigtails.
It will no longer be ip68, bUT it Wont be in the landfill anytime soon either.

What is your budget?

Review:
Im not looking to spend $1000. Id say $150-200 max, but ideally $100 or less.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with using Bluetooth in a shop is that every time I turn one of the vehicles on it automatically switches the bluetooth, it s huge PITA

I assume you have A/C power in your garage that you are going to use. I've repurposed an old stereo for this use in my basement and have another set of speakers in my bathroom with their own amp. Both with Bluetooth connectivity. If you have old speakers around you can get a Bluetooth amp for like $40 or a Bluetooth to RCA adapter for about $20 and use your old amp/receiver.

If you want battery powered portability, the JBL and the Wonderboom are good. Though, they all use a rechargeable internal battery. They sell a lot of rechargeable replacement batteries these days so don't know if theirs are proprietary or not. It's not going to sound anywhere close to as good as the unpowered standard speakers you already have.

I assume you have A/C power in your garage that you are going to use. I've repurposed an old stereo for this use in my basement and have another set of speakers in my bathroom with their own amp. Both with Bluetooth connectivity. If you have old speakers around you can get a Bluetooth amp for like $40 or a Bluetooth to RCA adapter for about $20 and use your old amp/receiver.

If you want battery powered portability, the JBL and the Wonderboom are good. Though, they all use a rechargeable internal battery. They sell a lot of rechargeable replacement batteries these days so don't know if theirs are proprietary or not. It's not going to sound anywhere close to as good as the unpowered standard speakers you already have.
Yes. I have traditional speakers and some old stereo stuff but no bluetooth. A BT dongle is an option if my old stereo stuff has the right input...

A bluetooth amp is in the cards too. Use the old speakers and a new BT amp... but which one? There are a few vacuum amps, but Im doubtful they use the tubes for anything but look...

Yes. I have traditional speakers and some old stereo stuff but no bluetooth. A BT dongle is an option if my old stereo stuff has the right input...

A bluetooth amp is in the cards too. Use the old speakers and a new BT amp... but which one? There are a few vacuum amps, but Im doubtful they use the tubes for anything but look...
Any Bluetooth to RCA will have the right input.

Something like this if you want a new amp: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Wireles...onics&sprefix=pyle,electronics,95&sr=1-3&th=1

Or something like this if you want to use your old stereo stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OBCAW2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A bluetooth amp is in the cards too. Use the old speakers and a new BT amp... but which one?
Here is one option:

Review:

I have an echo sitting in a magnetic craftsman cupholder. Cupholder stuck on angle iron fills entire garage with good sound. Echo $35 cupholder $14

Attachments

• 16415954941458550929785034718566.jpg
    16415954941458550929785034718566.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 12
Back