US made small wall speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
TAOC, some JVC or Pioneer, Diatone speakers, etc. are mighty fine if you can get them.

They are not cheep but certainly sounds good to my ears.

(mind you though: I like hearing voices through BBC-voiced speakers, and LS3/5A is one of my eternal fave).

Q.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And it doesn't sound like the OP wants to pay for the higher end stuff.

No, I said I dont want $10k speakers when they are going into a space that just needs to get filled with sound - nothing critical.

But not wanting $10k speakers still leaves lots of tradespace.

Understood. What I meant was that high end B&W would be close to your $10K, so no go on any of the B&W stuff. Their low-end is made in China, and their high-end is too expensive.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In any case, we're talking about an outdoor environment here, not audiophile stuff.

No, not outdoor. it is an original enclosed porch, that is, it has very long, rectangular dimensions, like a front porch would, it was just built so that it was enclosed, so it is a heated, interior space.

Sorry... my reading comprehension skills aren't with me today.
smile.gif

They aren't small and aren't inexpensive, but Magnepan makes speakers in White Bear Lake Minnesota.

You could always go to a junkyard an pull door speakers out of a 1970's American car.

Or you could search the car audio world. There are a few products made in USA. http://www.ddaudio.com/ for example, makes some stuff here.

Last edited:
These guys make some very fine speakers. Their drivers are European and US made. From a price/ performance perspective I am not sure there are any better knowing in advance that "performance" can be very subjective. The company is based in Ohio....their low frequency drivers are designed there and made in California. At least some of their tweeters are scan speak out of Denmark if I recall correctly.

http://www.svsound.com/products.cfm

Looks like a few things have changed at svsound. Peerless and tympany drivers in their full range speakers whereas they were scan speak. Still excellent companies even though a little less esoteric than scan speak.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
The company is based in Ohio....their low frequency drivers are designed there and made in California. At least some of their tweeters are scan speak out of Denmark if I recall correctly.

http://www.svsound.com/products.cfm

SVS makes good stuff. But although their subwoofers may be made in Ohio, their speakers (L/C/R) are made in China.

Could be that I had some incomplete information or that has changed...If I recall correctly woofers in their subs WERE designed in house and built by a California company (name escapes me but I think it began with an "E"). And I was referring only to their subs...not a small wall mountable speaker. Not sure if that California company outsources manufacturing to the far east though.

The change to the Tympani (peerless) tweeters in their M-series was from a scan speak design and I'm pretty sure that would've been done for a price/performance tradeoff and I've read that those Tympani tweeters are fantastic at a fantastic price ( under 100 dollars per tweeter..retail). So good in fact that getting them isn't or wasn't easy.

The woofer manufacturer is TC-Sounds.

And here is an excerpt from their website as per where their M-series speakers are manufactured:

"Nestled into each of these computer-cut and elegant hand-built cabinets, you'll find our newest high-end tweeter, and custom Aluminum cone SVS/Peerless woofers, and now SVS USA-built high end crossovers stuffed with premium parts. To ensure exceptional quality and durability, SVS not only assembles these speakers in our own Ohio factory, we conduct painstaking testing and validate the performance of every one. The SVS craftsman responsible even signs your speaker before it's boxed. Stringent objective standards and specifications required for the finest music and movie audio are guaranteed and documented; we even include a copy of the results for you."

So...they make more than subs in Ohio.

So...they make more than subs in Ohio.

Good catch. Looks like only their S-series speakers are made in China.

These guys do make some highly regarded speakers and I can personally vouch for their top notch customer service. I'd venture to say if you wanted to talk with the company officers they'd get you in touch with them. If the OP restricts his options to more recognizable brands, which is of course is fine, he'll probably get less performance per dollar than what sv sound offers.

These guys do make some highly regarded speakers and I can personally vouch for their top notch customer service.

Oh, no doubt about that. I've had one of their cylinder subs for a while now, and it's a great product. Their CS is very responsive as well.

My home (1930s) has an original enclosed porch. It is about 25x13ft.

On either end, I have a wire for one channel of a stereo amplifier.

Optimal acoustically? Maybe not. But given the reflections and space, IMO it will provide some music in the space, which is really the intent. If we want audiophile sound quality, Ill go to my stereo and run it right.

So what Im looking for are very small, maybe/preferably wall-hangable stereo speakers. White would be nice.

They have to be US made. Recommendations? I dont have a price issue, but Im not keen on buying $10k speakers either...

Thanks!

What impedance, wattage are you thinking of?
What style of speaker.. full range, 2-way, 3-way?

My home (1930s) has an original enclosed porch. It is about 25x13ft. On either end, I have a wire for one channel of a stereo amplifier.

If you want only one speaker, you'll need a mono source to hear all of the signal. Else, you'll need another wire for the second channel.

Quote:
So what Im looking for are very small, maybe/preferably wall-hangable stereo speakers. White would be nice.

They have to be US made. Recommendations?
Triad. These should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back