US made small wall speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My home (1930s) has an original enclosed porch. It is about 25x13ft.

On either end, I have a wire for one channel of a stereo amplifier.

Optimal acoustically? Maybe not. But given the reflections and space, IMO it will provide some music in the space, which is really the intent. If we want audiophile sound quality, Ill go to my stereo and run it right.

So what Im looking for are very small, maybe/preferably wall-hangable stereo speakers. White would be nice.

They have to be US made. Recommendations? I dont have a price issue, but Im not keen on buying $10k speakers either...

Thanks!

That's a tough one. I can't think of any low/mid-end speakers that are actually made in USA. Designed and engineered in USA is probably as far as you're going to get...

Supposedly Orb Audio speakers are made in USA, but looking at their website, their speakers are really tiny... 3" drivers... I'm afraid that will sound like poop in an outdoor open type environment. I think they are meant to be supplemented by a subwoofer in a typical home theater type setting.

Also, PartsExpress sells DIY speaker kits. The parts are probably mostly Chinese, but since you'll be building them in your back yard, that will technically make them "Made in USA", sort of...
lol.gif

You can buy USA-made wood for them to make the enclosures, too.

any chance you can mount them in-wall? if so, your search is over:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNELL-IW-T-7-IN-...=item336e04765a

I have these in my kitchen, mounted in-wall. Great sound, and this is a ridiculous deal. If I had any need for them, I'd buy both pairs. I just don't...

I also have a pair of Snell CLS in white in another part of the house, and love them.

http://www.snellacoustics.com/ProductDetails/3426.asp

They're hard to find, but they're out there. I got mine slightly used for $250.00, but honestly I don't know the retail on them. I think they're between $600-800, so expensive, but not ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I think you would be hard pressed to find a speaker made in the US...
Why does it have to be a US speaker?

Because I boycott third world made stuff (generally sold at first world prices). Makes it tough and sometimes it is impossible, but I can try...

Triad and Snell are both made in the US, so there are some options out there. Snell uses mostly Scandinavian drivers, not sure about Triad--though you could call them and I'm sure they'd tell you. They're down in Portland.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
What about B&W?

B&W (Bowers and Wilkins) is a British speaker company.

OP wants US, not British.

Q.

I personally would take on any British/European bookshelf speakers at any given day: B&W, Dali, Dynaudio, etc. All time fave has been Celestion SL6/SL60/SL600 series, but still cannot afford a pair even after all these years *sigh*

Originally Posted By: Quest
What about B&W?

Q.

I personally would take on any British/European bookshelf speakers at any given day: B&W, Dali, Dynaudio, etc. All time fave has been Celestion SL6/SL60/SL600 series, but still cannot afford a pair even after all these years *sigh*

Indeed, but he said he boycotts 3rd world stuff, so I figured B&W was a good suggestion
wink.gif

What about McIntosh? That's another option...... I have one of their sub cabinets.

no so much a fan of mac speakers but more like into their classics tube amp release (MC225 to MC275, etc.)

but then again: it's just a classical tube sound.

I'd be very careful RE:no speakers from 3rd world, citing that from Pioneer (TAD) to even my favourite British speaker maker (Epos) are now made in mainland sino, nothing can be spared to eventually moved over to a cheeper labour country to manufacture.

So long as the outcome/quality meets my very high standards, I'll still buy them even though they no longer made in G.B.

Q.

What about B&W?

Q.

Indeed, but he said he boycotts 3rd world stuff, so I figured B&W was a good suggestion
wink.gif

But most of the lower end B&W stuff is made in China these days. And it doesn't sound like the OP wants to pay for the higher end stuff.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And it doesn't sound like the OP wants to pay for the higher end stuff.

No, I said I dont want $10k speakers when they are going into a space that just needs to get filled with sound - nothing critical.

But not wanting $10k speakers still leaves lots of tradespace.

What about B&W?

Q.

Western Europe and Japan would be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back