Bluetooth Speakers for Laptop

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm looking for a Bluetooth speaker (or speakers) for my laptop. The one I'm using now has way too much bass and the sound is muddy. Something that can charge with a USB connection to the laptop is ideal, as is clear, clean sound. Don't need a lot of loudness as I'll never be more than 12 - 18 inches from the speaker. I'll be using the speakers mostly foe streaming video and news reports. Under $100 is good, under $50 is better.

Suggestions? Experiences?

I'm looking for a Bluetooth speaker (or speakers) for my laptop. The one I'm using now has way too much bass and the sound is muddy. Something that can charge with a USB connection to the laptop is ideal, as is clear, clean sound. Don't need a lot of loudness as I'll never be more than 12 - 18 inches from the speaker. I'll be using the speakers mostly foe streaming video and news reports. Under $100 is good, under $50 is better.

Suggestions? Experiences?
I would check out the Oontz bluetooth speakers, you can pair 'em for stereo. I have the angle 3 the sound is full and rich.

That's what I have now ... thanks for jumping in.
Go to your local BestBuy and listen to some of them - they usually have a bunch on display.

Like the other poster mentioned, this is very subjective - what sounds good to me may not sound good to you.

Go to your local BestBuy and listen to some of them - they usually have a bunch on display.

Like the other poster mentioned, this is very subjective - what sounds good to me may not sound good to you.
That sounds like a good idea. I rarely think of Best Buy because I truly can't stand the store, but if they have a variety of speakers that I can see and hear, it might be a worthwhile trip.

That sounds like a good idea. I rarely think of Best Buy because I truly can't stand the store, but if they have a variety of speakers that I can see and hear, it might be a worthwhile trip.
So you will not be at a desk - you will be literally laptop in a chair or couch ?
You have an option to use a soundbar - like your TV sound bar - it its nearby and cast to that.
Also, If you have a regular stereo nearby you can get a BT adapter for for 30 bucks that you can cast to. These gizmos have Tx or Rx capability.
Also you may like some lightweight BT headphones. That's what I use at my desktop. But of course if you are at a desk, you can wire the speakers through USB. NO want for BT there. Tell us what you find. - Ken

So you will not be at a desk - you will be literally laptop in a chair or couch ?
You have an option to use a soundbar - like your TV sound bar - it its nearby and cast to that.
Also, If you have a regular stereo nearby you can get a BT adapter for for 30 bucks that you can cast to. These gizmos have Tx or Rx capability.
Also you may like some lightweight BT headphones. That's what I use at my desktop. But of course if you are at a desk, you can wire the speakers through USB. NO want for BT there. Tell us what you find. - Ken
Sometimes I'm at the desk, other times couch, chair, bed. I don't have a TV, therefore, no TV soundbar. I don't understand your abbreviations: BT, Tx, Rx. I do know what USB is. I don't want wired speakers. Sometimes I want to listen to music in the kitchen while the computer is on my desk. Although I have recently received some headphones, I dislike wearing them.

Thanks for jumping in, unfortunately, I don't understand much of what you're saying. I'm ignorant about a lot of this connectivity stuff.

The wireless speakers that I now have are perfect in terms of size, portability, range, convenience, I just can't stand the sound. So, Best Buy may be a good option to explore.

How does that work? Could you quickly explain that, or provide a link? Thanks.
If your computer has a standard 3.5mm headphone output, then you'd just connect your speaker to it with a regular 3.5mm audio cable like this one:

Also, regarding the "too much bass" issue, it is possible to install equalizer software on your computer that would automatically reduce bass and boost treble so that it's more clear sounding. But the install is a little involved. It is also possible that the built-in software of your sound card already has an equalizer function that you could play around with. However, if the speaker is really bad to begin with, there is only so much a software can do to help.

No standard jack on the computer
If your computer has a standard 3.5mm headphone output, then you'd just connect your speaker to it with a regular 3.5mm audio cable like this one:

Also, regarding the "too much bass" issue, it is possible to install equalizer software on your computer that would automatically reduce bass and boost treble so that it's more clear sounding. But the install is a little involved. It is also possible that the built-in software of your sound card already has an equalizer function that you could play around with. However, if the speaker is really bad to begin with, there is only so much a software can do to help.
First, let me thank you for your help. Even though I don't have the type of output you've described, I did find some "holes" in the sides of my computer that I didn't know about, so it's time to pull out the manual and see what they are. Might be useful to know about them.

My soundcard doesn't have an equalizer function. My previous laptop did, and it was a very nice feature. I looked for equalizer software some time ago, but to be honest, it was a half-hearted search. However, it might be worthwhile to do another, deeper, dive into the matter. Will do that later today.

Thanks again!

I upgraded a sound bar for the living room TV and tried the old sound bar and subwoofer on the office computer. Works great! I went Samsung and they have been good to go. Lots of other sound bars out there as well. Only limit is your pocket book :cry:

I upgraded a sound bar for the living room TV and tried the old sound bar and subwoofer on the office computer. Works great! I went Samsung and they have been good to go. Lots of other sound bars out there as well. Only limit is your pocket book :cry:
I don't think I want a soundbar. I want a wireless, Bluetooth, speaker. Now, maybe I don't know just what a soundbar is ... is a soundbar just a different name for a speaker? Does a soundbar work differently than a Bluetooth speaker?

Check them out. Depends on your use/need like so many other things in life. I play bookkeeper for my kids school district and a not for profit sports booster club and I do some consulting work from home. I like to have good quality sound in the background while I work. Lots of podcasts and music.

I tried Bluetooth speakers and they worked well but I like the surround sound dynamics of the soundbar and subwoofer a lot more. There are some good quality packages out there on the cheap this time of year.

Sometimes I'm at the desk, other times couch, chair, bed. I don't have a TV, therefore, no TV soundbar. I don't understand your abbreviations: BT, Tx, Rx. I do know what USB is. I don't want wired speakers. Sometimes I want to listen to music in the kitchen while the computer is on my desk. Although I have recently received some headphones, I dislike wearing them.

Thanks for jumping in, unfortunately, I don't understand much of what you're saying. I'm ignorant about a lot of this connectivity stuff.

The wireless speakers that I now have are perfect in terms of size, portability, range, convenience, I just can't stand the sound. So, Best Buy may be a good option to explore.
BT = Bluetooth = the son of King Gorm the Old and of Thyra Dannebod = also short range wireless digital transmission developed by Ericsson

Tx = transmitter
Rx = receiver

When I don't know what an abbreviation is, I just ask Google "what is Tx short for?" I ask by typing in to the search bar,
i dont have fembot assistants like Siri or Alexa. They make me nauseous.

If you have a laptop you have a headphone jack, I am (almost) certain. I have never seen one without unless it was one I disabled internally for govt security req. Used to call these mini or 1/8" phone jacks. Now the standard is 3.5mm

What some folks were trying to say is if you plug your current bluetooth speaker in to the computer it may have software that allows you to adjust tone. I dont know. Also certain button presses on the speaker may adjust tone also.

have fun listening to these. There are some tests of bluetooth speakers in youtube videos

Speaking of equalizer, some portable BT speakers come with an app that allows you to tweak the EQ right through your phone.

This Anker Soundcore Motion+ is one of them:

Review on rtings:

93ff5eb719145bd772c78fdb57475b6d94626bc6.png

Last edited:
BT = Bluetooth = the son of King Gorm the Old and of Thyra Dannebod = also short range wireless digital transmission developed by Ericsson

Tx = transmitter
Rx = receiver

When I don't know what an abbreviation is, I just ask Google "what is Tx short for?" I ask by typing in to the search bar,
i dont have fembot assistants like Siri or Alexa. They make me nauseous.

If you have a laptop you have a headphone jack, I am (almost) certain. I have never seen one without unless it was one I disabled internally for govt security req. Used to call these mini or 1/8" phone jacks. Now the standard is 3.5mm

What some folks were trying to say is if you plug your current bluetooth speaker in to the computer it may have software that allows you to adjust tone. I dont know. Also certain button presses on the speaker may adjust tone also.

have fun listening to these. There are some tests of bluetooth speakers in youtube videos
When I asked Google for Tx I got lots of listings for Texas Rx gave me prescription info.

I did find a headphone jack on my laptop, although it's a lot smaller than the ones shown in earlier messages. Coincidentally, I recently received a set of 'phones as a gift, and they fit the jack on the laptop, so I'll give 'em a try and hear how they sound.

Thanks foryour help. Much appreciated.

Back