Blue Smoke 2004 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought i would give you guys an update from my last situation.

problem:
2004 WRX smoking blue from tail pipe every once in awhile. no miss, some oil present in intercooler piping, no play on turbo shaft.

solution : changed oil back to amsoil 20-50 and problem has ceased to replicate itself (over 5k miles ). still boosts fine and all seems to be well. previous oil used was amsoil 10-40.

hope that helps someone in the future.

Joe

But it would seem that something is wrong to cause the oil burning in the first place. 20w50 sure wouldn't be my first choice for that engine.

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:
But it would seem that something is wrong to cause the oil burning in the first place. 20w50 sure wouldn't be my first choice for that engine.

Well, it depends on the mileage of course. In West Texas, I'm using 15w-40 in my mitsu 2.6 Turbo wih 160K mi. It does smoke sometimes, but placing a few oz of Neutra every 1000mi seems to help out A LOT! Keeps the valve stem seals and turbo seals happy.

If you don't have too much mileage, you may want to look into why you have oil in the IC piping. Have you owned the car since new...changing dino regularly (3k) or using syn? Any warranty issues depending on mileage? Shoot if you don't have too much mileage on that 2004 have Subie get you another turbo. I'd definitely get things checked out before the warranty ends.

My neighbor has a WRX STi and it is one fast little car. I never would have thought a Subaru would run like that.

The blue smoke out of the tail pipe sounds like something I would get checked out before the warranty expires. My neighbor hasn't noticed this problem at all. He has had the oil changed at the dealer since he bought it, but he drives it pretty hard.

No kidding. I would put in the WORST oil that meets Subaru requirements to exaggerate the problem, then make them fix it.

quote:

Originally posted by scoobdude:
Just thought i would give you guys an update from my last situation.

problem:
2004 WRX smoking blue from tail pipe every once in awhile. no miss, some oil present in intercooler piping, no play on turbo shaft.

solution : changed oil back to amsoil 20-50 and problem has ceased to replicate itself (over 5k miles ). still boosts fine and all seems to be well. previous oil used was amsoil 10-40.

hope that helps someone in the future.

Joe

You have a warranty for a reason.

Use it.

Also, using 20w50 in an engine that requires and is designed for 5w30 is plain stupid.

Ask anyone at Clubwrx.net and they will tell you.

But really, take it to the dealer.

FIrst 20W50 is not going to hurt it at all in warm months! 20W50 should not be needed though and is surely not the best oil for the job in 90% of daily drivers synthetic or not! A solid 5W40 should be about as thick as you would need in that. With that said I would put in the cheapest 5W30 that meets the minimum requirments of Subaru like Walmart 5W30 if that fits the bill and go see the dealership!! It could be valve guides, valve seals, damaged rings, out of spec bore etc....

P.S. Their are a lot of Subaru UOA here and some are being driven hard includeing Auto-X! Redline 5W40 has done really well!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
FIrst 20W50 is not going to hurt it at all in warm months! 20W50 should not be needed though and is surely not the best oil for the job in 90% of daily drivers synthetic or not! A solid 5W40 should be about as thick as you would need in that. With that said I would put in the cheapest 5W30 that meets the minimum requirments of Subaru like Walmart 5W30 if that fits the bill and go see the dealership!! It could be valve guides, valve seals, damaged rings, out of spec bore etc....

P.S. Their are a lot of Subaru UOA here and some are being driven hard includeing Auto-X! Redline 5W40 has done really well!

Or could be from 50 weight oil incresing pressure and blowing seals.

When does it blow the smoke??? If you are catless (maybe even if you arent)and running a stock pig-rich tune it will blow smoke during WOT.

Put 5w30 in and let it smoke and take it to the dealer to fix. 20w50 is a band-aid especially on a new car.

blazerlt, a 20W50 is not going to raise the pressure and blow the seals! Even GM engines that common spec 5W30 can usualy handle a 20W50 just fine. In GM's HP build up books put out by the GM Race Shop one of the first things you do is shim the bypass, stretch or replaces the bypass spring so you get a bypass pressure of 95PSI and put in 20W50! This is write out of one of their books. This same engine though off the production line would have an oil cap that read 5W30.

Again 20W50 is not the best oil for a daily drive in 99% of OEM applications but that by itself does not make it a bad viscosity. The viscosity is reduceing the problem so we know that he has either a soft seal or a mechanical issue that allows excessive oil to get past rings or seals! He needs to put a cheap thin 5W30 in that thing and let the dealership see how it fogs like a mesqito fogger!

BlazerLT states: "Also, using 20w50 in an engine that requires and is designed for 5w30 is plain stupid."

This is what the WRX owner's manual has to say: Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

If the vehicle is used in desert areas, in areas with very high temperatures, or used for heavy-duty applications such as towing a trailer, use of oil with following grade and viscosities is recommended.

API classification SL or SJ: SAE viscosity No.: 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50. (emphasis mine).

So, to those crying end of the world from using a 20W-50, that is a recommended viscosity for Texas's climate.

Agreed, the car should not be smoking and should be dealt with. As was stated, the PCV valve is a suspect as are the turbo oil seals.

Ed

You could be leaking a bit of oil past the turbo seals into the exhaust. I'd go 5w-40 like John B. said. If this turns out to be the case, you've got the best excuse in the world to upgrade the turbocharger.

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
possible PCV troubles?

The usual, non-mechanical-failure cause of oil in the intake tract of turbo cars. Verify if thats the cause, and set up an inline oil catch can.

20w-50 isn't going to hurt this time of year, but the blue smoke shouldn't be happening. I would document the exact circumstances when it occurs and get it fixed. Cars aren't always assembled properly, and parts aren't always within tolerances.

quote:

Originally posted by the_oil_dealer:

quote:

Originally posted by kcryan:
possible PCV troubles?

The usual, non-mechanical-failure cause of oil in the intake tract of turbo cars. Verify if thats the cause, and set up an inline oil catch can.

Most factroy turbo cars have this phenomonon (oil in the intake/intercooler) with no or little blue smoking. My Corolla sucks up tons of oil through the PCV and never emits blue smoke.
dunno.gif

Holy crap. A 2004 model anything shouldn't blow blue smoke.

What weight are you planning to run 50k miles from now? Straight 60wt?

Replace the oil with the cheapest 5w30 that meets the owners' manual specs, and take that sum-gun to the dealer pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back