Blue "dye" in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I opened a bottle of this oil (Valvoline "Racing" Synthetic VR1), I discovered it was blue; it looks a lot like 2-stroke oil.

Is this blue dye just a marketing gimmick, or is there a real purpose to it? Anyone know of other oils which have dye added?

I know that GC was green from approximately 2001 until 2004 (?).

I posted about this oil in the sales/promotion section, as it is $4.99 at O'Reillys, until 11/6/12 IIRC.

31pwGqmvCJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For some reason, all I can think of is The Color Purple. I thought the insides of some engines were... purple...

Also, a family member of mine used to say that "Exxon gas had some kind of blue dye" in it, though I have never actually heard any proof of this. (80s and 90s)

I have actually heard some guys who race use the color of this particular oil as a gauge or indicator on when to change it. I don't think this has any merit and I personally believe it is a gimmick just like the other funky colored oils. Not bashing VR1, it is a great oil.

Quote:
Is this blue dye just a marketing gimmick, or is there a real purpose to it? Anyone know of other oils which have dye added?

There are all colors of oil soluble dyes of the rainbow for varous applications.

Many mfg dye their oils a different color to differentiate the product.

Dyes offer no performance or protection enhancments.

I used this oil, VR1 10W-30 "racing" synthetic in our Forester for 5K July through November '10, about 5K.
The OM allows for an API SL oil, as well as a 10W-30 for the ambients encountered, and the oil was FAR.
The oil is dyed a really pretty saphire blue when new, which quickly turns to brown, just as RP or green GC turn the color of any other oil in use.
This oil is basically Synpower with more ZDDP and blue dye.
It doesn't seem all that race oriented.
For $4.99/qt, there are probably better syns available on sale, unless you really like the color or you really need the extra ZDDP.
Still, this is a good price for this oil, which is rarely on sale at a special price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back