Blue collar work clothes (US vs Europe)

I've been to several countries in Europe and not just at the spots where tourists populate.
Regarding our non work attire, we dress like crap compared to Europeans. One thing I noticed is that even if you're in Europe during the summer, they are wearing pants and a formal shirt that fit properly while an American guy in a similar venue here in the USA would were cargo shorts with a stupid t-shirt one size too large for him.

If you've ever been in Paris, Americans stand out and the professional pick pocketers and con artist hunt for us.

I dress like an American in America, but the next time I go to Europe, I wont wear shorts, a t-shirt and Nike shoes.

I've been to several countries in Europe and not just at the spots where tourists populate.
Regarding our non work attire, we dress like crap compared to Europeans. One thing I noticed is that even if you're in Europe during the summer, they are wearing pants and a formal shirt that fit properly while an American guy in a similar venue here in the USA would were cargo shorts with a stupid t-shirt one size too large for him.

If you've ever been in Paris, Americans stand out and the professional pick pocketers and con artist hunt for us.

I dress like an American in America, but the next time I go to Europe, I wont wear shorts, a t-shirt and Nike shoes.
Sky, you also forgot the baseball style cap worn either forwards or backwards.....LOL

I know at Honda plants in USA, everyone has to wear white coveralls - regardless of job function. At least it was this way when I toured a plant 20 years ago.
And in comparison, the workers at the Corvette plant in Bowling Green are dressed in all sorts of street clothes. Women wearing blue jeans with sequins and all sorts of crap stitched to the back pockets. Not surprising at all. Really unfortunate, but that's the UAW at work. They're only building nearly six figure cars, right?

Last edited:
Regarding our non work attire, we dress like crap compared to Europeans. One thing I noticed is that even if you're in Europe during the summer, they are wearing pants and a formal shirt that fit properly
A bit of fashion consolation for Americans especially southerners is remember Germany and similar don't get as hot in the summer. They don't even have much air-conditioning because they haven't needed it.

In India, basically only tourists wear shorts and everybody including laborers wear long-sleeve shirts and full-length pants even when it's 100 degrees F.

I basically always wear polo shirts instead of t-shirts because reasons. Your "we dress like crap" reminds me of having a new polo, dark black, thick material with strong collar and crisp lines, as formal-looking as a polo shirt can get, that got snagged on something and put an inch-wide hole in it near the bottom that usually wasn't obvious but it's there.

So I started wearing it around the house. Probably looked a bit odd to neighbors and passers-by doing yard work and mowing the lawn wearing a spiffy black polo.

You have your choice of FR clothing where I work. You order what you want and the company pays for it. Im one of the few who prefers coveralls.

On drilling and completion rigs up here all outer wear including pants and jackets have to be made of Nomex or equivalent for its fire retardant qualities. Steel toe boots and safety glasses are a requirement. Harley Davidson has a line of safety glasses that are popular on the rigs.

Reactions: JTK

SA,

Is this how you dress when you are in Europe? JK

giphy (1).gif

A bit of fashion consolation for Americans especially southerners is remember Germany and similar don't get as hot in the summer. They don't even have much air-conditioning because they haven't needed it.

Yes, we get both temperature extremes here, and the building I work in isn't very climate controlled. Plus we are moving bulky items around all day. Comfort is important. The car salespeople are jealous of our "whatever is comfortable as long as you have the company logo somewhere" dress code, but I don't get to spend most of my day sitting in the showroom playing on my phone. 🤣

Here's my CEO Uniform. The same white collared shirt with-
Suit
Shorts
Jeans

Whenever I'm at the office.

On sep note It's white shirt day at the Uncle Dave household.White shirts,
T-shirts with silkscreens get a special load of their own.

CEO Uniform.jpeg

Under clothes security bag for my passport, IDs, and cash. Temporary wallet in pocket secured by a clothes pin.

I've been on crowded subways in foreign countries and I would presume any pickpocket would see the pin and move onto another target, unless they like a challenge. Basically I am always "on" when travelling to these areas, especially when people are very close to me or family.

Back