Blown Multimeter

had the lead connected to DC10A unfused input and I accidently checked the voltage on car battery which shorted out the multimeter (at least the unfused section) looks like it burned a piece of metal connecting the input from the circuit board. Is this repairable?

had the lead connected to DC10A unfused input and I accidently checked the voltage on car battery which shorted out the multimeter (at least the unfused section) looks like it burned a piece of metal connecting the input from the circuit board. Is this repairable?

Yes, solder a piece of bare solid copper wire across it where it burned to bridge the damaged connection.

As someone who used to design multimeters, I would say not very likely. Little handheld ones usually use a metal trace that's a specific length and width to get the right shunt resistance to measure the voltage across it, and hence, the current. Even if the part that burned was a connection to connect that lead to the shunt, the shunt likely has more resistance and probably would have been the first to burn up.

Edit: If you replace it with piece of wire, it might read something, but it might be way off.

Innova 3300 Multimeter. 1st picture I drew circle around the piece of metal that burnt. I believe that gap between the bent piece of metal and the lead is where it blew. 2nd picture inside of lid, scorch mark from when it blew

Attachments

• innova 3300 1.jpg
    innova 3300 1.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 62
  • innova 3300.JPG
    innova 3300.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 61
That kind of looks like a fusible link.
If it's me, I would try to solder it past that link.

Its a fairly inexpensive meter.
So there is not a lot to lose.

That burned part was the shunt. It's a bit iffy on finding a suitable replacement, since it's a fairly low, but specific, resistance. You could try replacing it with a piece of solid copper wire of the same gauge and length (assuming it's copper), but don't be surprised if the reading is off.

Time for a replacement. I always use the freebie horror freight meter when doing low voltage work. Sometimes in a pinch to check line voltage. 😯🙄 many meters are a dime a dozen and just as accurate as the big $ meters. Just make sure is a true rms meter

Time for a replacement. I always use the freebie horror freight meter when doing low voltage work. Sometimes in a pinch to check line voltage. 😯🙄 many meters are a dime a dozen and just as accurate as the big $ meters. Just make sure is a true rms meter
Very few people measure voltages other than sine wave and DC. Average consumer doesn't need an RMS responding meter.

OP, you've learned the hard way, but be aware that an ammeter (or a multimeter when set to its ammeter function) should never be connected in parallel to the circuit being tested. An ammeter should only be connected in series.

Voltage is measured by connecting the meter in parallel, but never amperage.

I say toss it. There are decent ones for under $50. I have the $79 HF one. Well the similar model sold several years ago. One of 5 or 6 I have.

Knowing how to use one is important also.

I made a Heathkit DVM with nixie tubes for readout. Have not seen it in many years and I have moved twice so I assume it's lost for good.

Also nice to have is a clamp on AC and DC ammeter and a 4 wire ohmmeter.

Back