Why did someone stick this in the cig lighter socket?

battery.jpg

The check engine light came on in my E150 wagon. Hooked up the scanner but it wouldn't connect. LSS the fuse that feeds power to it was blown. Put in a new fuse it blows instantly. Look up the wiring diagram and this lighter was on the same circuit. Someone stuck a button cell battery in the socket. Why?

GM products are an odd breed. When I was an emissions inspector, 99% of the time if a newer GM vehicle came in and was due for an OBD test didn't connect it was the cigarette lighter fuse.

GM products are an odd breed. When I was an emissions inspector, 99% of the time if a newer GM vehicle came in and was due for an OBD test didn't connect it was the cigarette lighter fuse.

When OBD-II was added to existing designs, the simplest solution for supplying the constant power needed for the OBD-II port was to take it from the cigarette lighter circuit. That wasn't an option for designs with a switched cigarette lighter.

I've got a dime fused/stuck in mine. Cannot get it out. I'll have to disconnect the battery one of these days and pry it out. The cig lighters are often poorly placed and near coin holders, an invariably a dime or penny falls in. Shorted my mom's car out decades ago.

The OBD-II connector protocol requires at least a 10 amp source for its power pin.

I suspect it's the same reason the dome light is on the brake light fuse-- if it breaks, it'll annoy you, and you'll seek to fix it.

Because it fits. That’s why. 🤷‍♂️
It could be an accident or Probably the same type of fool who messed with my car over the last couple days. Only 2 places I have driven this week. Walmart and then to hospital with mother-in-law. Today as I walked to the car in the parking lot I could clearly tell someone had recently been up to no good. As I could see the license plate had been pulled on really hard from the bottom (some how I only have (2) screws in the top of the holder? Anyway it looks as if they tried to pry it off the car. Idiots. This was done once before to our 2002 Accord and they actually tore the metal. Guess it is time for me to add those two skipped mounting bolts. Some people just have a need inside of them to find something, anything to steal. When that does not work they will attempt to destroy it if they can not successfully steal the item.

Back