Blown Engine - Reuse intake on new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, the engine is toast in my '95 Odyssey (sounds like a coffee can full of marbles in a clothes dryer, lots of metal shards on the drain plug etc). I'm pretty sure at least one bearing is gone so I'm swapping the engine for a used JDM version.

I'm working at prepping the replacement and part of that is to take the intake off. Looking at the intake runners they're pretty black inside and there are little flecks of what appears to be shiny carbon. I take this to be bits of sludge that managed to make it through the PCV valve. I'm not terribly concerned though I do plan to run a few short OCIs in an attempt to clean things up internally.

So here's the question; should I re-use the original intake from an engine that I think was filled with chunks of bearing? My concern is that some of that made it through the PCV valve and into the intake.I'm leaning toward using the new one but I'm also concerned with not really being able to clean it up well enough.

Thanks!

Greg

If the new engine has one use that but there is nothing wrong with your old intake.There is no way for metal to be in it.If its carboned up a scraper and carb cleaner should do the trick.Or a wire brush.

Whenever we replace an engine under warranty, Ford wants us to replace the intake as well as metal can be sucked into the intake. I have a new 5.0 intake in my garage from a blown motor that has metal pieces in the intake.

If you need to save money, buy a case of carb cleaner and long brushes and clean it yourself, otherwise buy a new one.

You have to ask yourself if it is worth it.

I have cleaned an intake system that was full of metal, we put the work in because it was an expensive port and polish mod, we just changed the oil at 500 miles after we cleaned it really well we too were skeptical of metal still being in there, after that we left it be and it still runs great.

I am not familiar with that intake design. Can you see all the way through to the runners? On some engines like the GM 4.8,5.3 ect. (one engine i did had valve seats and piston peices in the intake) If there Is any metal in the intake ports the intake needs to be replaced because there is no way to clean it out due to its design. If the engine has only bottom end damage, rods, crank ect than there would be no metal in the intake.

Sounds like the new engine comes with one, if that's the case use it.

If not, from the looks of the intake on ebay, they look like they can be cleaned. Separate the upper from the lower, and have them soaked in a parts washer for the appropriate amount of time. Good as new...

It depends on how clean you can get it.
It is a one piece unit - not hard to see if it's clean and usable.
Any idle air valves or passages, and the TB should be dinner plate clean, too.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It depends on how clean you can get it.
It is a one piece unit - not hard to see if it's clean and usable.
Any idle air valves or passages, and the TB should be dinner plate clean, too.

There are two pieces, and upper and a lower.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-96-97-HONDA-ACCORD-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-/170679674410?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1995|Make%3AHonda|Model%3AOdyssey&hash=item27bd4d262a&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted By: mattd
take the TB and Idle motor off and have it hot tanked.

Don't think that you can hot tank aluminum parts, or at least, that's what they told us in the 80s when I worked in a shop.

I loved our hot tank for cleaning old iron block V8s!

I'd strip it down, then douche it out with the pressure washer and call it a day...

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: mattd
take the TB and Idle motor off and have it hot tanked.

Don't think that you can hot tank aluminum parts, or at least, that's what they told us in the 80s when I worked in a shop.

I loved our hot tank for cleaning old iron block V8s!

You can hot tank aluminum if it is setup for aluminum

thanks for the replies, all.

just as a follow-up I decided to just hose down the new intake with intake cleaner and put it to use.

If I were in a position where the original was very expensive of rare then I'd be looking into hot-tanking.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back