Blocked oil drain gallery?

There are 3 oil drain galleries in the head of my 6G74 Diamante. One seems blocked (oil puddle there that does not go away). Is this a problem? Can this be fixed without removing the heads? Considering the puddle of oil does not drain, I assume no flush will fix that.

Is it blocked with build up, or is it purposefully blocked? On some engines a drain back will be blocked or restricted on purpose to keep oil in a certain spot.

Yeah if it is blocked with sludge then you definitely have a problem. Clean out the sludge as best you can, run a good high detergent synthetic oil and change it frequently.

What does the rest of the motor look like? Generally if there's sludge it will be everywhere, not just in a few oil galleys

Spetz

The motor is clean and has no sludge build up. I don't know what it can be, or how this happened. As said flush/detergent oil won't help as no oil seems to be getting past at all.

If you can, in fact, verify it's sludge blocking a galley and not a solid piece of metal where a galley looks like it should be, sure you could clean it. But be advised that cleaning sludge is an all or nothing approach. See here for a video of what I mean http://youtu.be/KC-SxrsgEwo

Spetz

Considering the engine is sludge free, I don't know if I should try to push down whatever is clogging the oil drain gallery??

I once saw an oil gallery blocked by an o-ring sandwiched between the head and block that must have become displaced during assembly. Ran for a few years before wearing out the valve train.

Take a look and see what it is, it may even be a piece of foil from a bottle top. No reason you cant try to push a piece of thin metal rod down there carefully.

Spetz

As an update, turns out that there is no oil drain gallery there, so the accumulation of oil is normal. Thanks for the help guys