Block Heater Power Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know approximately how much power a block heater for a diesel truck consumes? I bring a work truck home overnight occasionally and with the colder weather, would be nice to plug it in. The truck has no trouble starting even in seriously cold weather, but being a big diesel engine, it takes quite a bit of time to warm up-- as such, this would be more for my comfort (faster warmups) than anything else. I can put up with no heat for 15 minutes if it's going to cost me a fortune though!

One might suggest starting it and letting it run till it warms up, but I leave real early in the morning and this thing idling in the driveway for 15 minutes is sure to wake everyone in the house. Truck in question is a 2005 International 4300 with 7.6L diesel (DT466).

Usually anywhere from 1000w to 1500 watts (so 1 to 1.5kw per hour). My guess in a DT466 is a 1200 watt. Look at the back of the plug and see if it branches off in 2 directions. It was common to also have an oil heater hooked up to the same plug on a HUEI engine like that. If it does, total comsumption is likely 1500 to 1600 watts. Usually not more than that because you are close to getting to the limits for a 15 amp circuit in the wall.

Last edited:
Interesting, I'll have to check to see if it branches as you say,

So I suppose worst case scenario, 1500w x 12 (hours I'd likely have it plugged in on a weekday) = 18Kwh. I have it for the weekend, that could be costly leaving it plugged in the whole time. Is it practical to plug it in 8 hours before I intend to leave? Are these things controlled by a thermostat, or are they an always-on thing sucking juice the whole time?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

So I suppose worst case scenario, 1500w x 12 (hours I'd likely have it plugged in on a weekday) = 18Kwh. I have it for the weekend, that could be costly leaving it plugged in the whole time. Is it practical to plug it in 8 hours before I intend to leave? Are these things controlled by a thermostat, or are they an always-on thing sucking juice the whole time?

You could set it in a timer. I would think plugged in for hours and hours is wasteful and unnecessary.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

You could set it in a timer. I would think plugged in for hours and hours is wasteful and unnecessary.

That's what I do, have it on a timer for 90 mins or 2 hours before I go to work. That's all thats needed. I should try it for 60 mins this winter.

in kentucky what are your temps.. its not northern ontario there... or even Minnesota.

if anything put it on a timer for 1-3 hours before startup.

Also use the shortest extension cord you can and at least 12 gauge copper.

Here are the average monthly temperatures for Louisville KY.
You don't need a block heater.
Especially if you're concerned about power consumption.

If you really needed one (because it's cold as heck), you would care less about the power consumption.

In short, the nature of your question answers itself.
You don't need a block heater.

Screenshot_20181208-171141.png

Originally Posted by E150GT

Make sure the timer can handle the power.

The last Internationals with the DT466 I specced used a 900W block heater, had to add an oil pan heater and trickle charger.
I kept the watts to about 1,400 in total.
Just under the limit for a 15 Amp circuit.

Your International dealer can tell you exactly what the spec is for your heater with your VIN.
This is the login page they use.

https://www.internationaltrucks.com/support/oncommand-service-information

Last edited:
I have mine on an outdoor smart plug. It has a default schedule of 1am to 8am (Monday-Friday) but I usually leave well before 8am, and then 2am to 10am on weekends. I just modify the schedule from my Smart Phone if I'm leaving at a different time or if it's going to be mild. It's also nice that I can ask Google to turn on/off the Block Heater. The smart plug I have is rated for a full 15 amps which gives me a buffer over the approximately 8-13 amps the heater draws (1000-1500 watt)

That said running it every night for 7 hours or so puts up my electricity bill about $15-25 CDN for the month. (We have expensive power here when you factor in all the costs)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I have mine on an outdoor smart plug. It has a default schedule of 1am to 8am (Monday-Friday) but I usually leave well before 8am, and then 2am to 10am on weekends. I just modify the schedule from my Smart Phone if I'm leaving at a different time or if it's going to be mild. It's also nice that I can ask Google to turn on/off the Block Heater. The smart plug I have is rated for a full 15 amps which gives me a buffer over the approximately 8-13 amps the heater draws (1000-1500 watt)

That said running it every night for 7 hours or so puts up my electricity bill about $15-25 CDN for the month. (We have expensive power here when you factor in all the costs)

I think you are underestimating its cost.. or overestimating the power draw.

At my relatively normal cost of 16c/kwh (that is all in pricing with distribution charges etc) that would be around $33

I only plug in my 6.6 Dmax for 30 to 45 minutes when its under 20 degrees and I'm not in a hurry, the Navistar=Powerstroke would take a little longer, anymore time than that is wasting electricity.

A DT466, I have no clue how much time it would take to warm up the block and coolant. Probably not more the 1.5-2 hours. You do not need to leave it plugged in as long as you think, try 45 minutes and go from there.

1000 watts is standard for consumer pickup trucks, commercial trucks, IDK...

15 amp plug is rated for 1850/1875 watts I forgot which.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

I think you are underestimating its cost.. or overestimating the power draw.

At my relatively normal cost of 16c/kwh (that is all in pricing with distribution charges etc) that would be around $33

It's more or less, I just did a rough calculation. Even if it was $40/month it's not terrible considering the wear/tear you save on the vehicle, decrease in fuel cost, and the best part is way less time waiting for heat.

I think I can monitor the usage through the plug I'm using and can do an actual calculation. Maybe I'll do that.

All I know is it's certainly cheaper than running my A/C in the summer which pushes my bills over $250 for the month.
crazy2.gif

Edit: I just looked up my power bill and I'm averaging $0.10/KwHr on my bill during the hours I'm using the power for this device (off-peak usage Smart-Meter) At 1000 watts for 7 hours a day for 30 days = $21 Canadian, For a 1500watt it would be $30. So when you convert that to USD it's $16.15 USD / month, or $23 / month for the 1500 watt for the same time period.

Last edited:
I only ask for one reason: A) the normal driver requests that I plug it in (he's very anal about "his" trucks). Trucks are owned by the company, but driver considers them his, and considers 32F extremely cold.

I'm the backup (only other person that can drive a 24' flatbed with a manual trans in our small company) either cause the normal driver isn't there that day or because the delivery is closer to my house than work, and has to get there in the morning (this circumstance). I'm 35 miles south of my work, so it makes sense for me to take the truck home overnight and deliver a couple miles away in the early AM, after the delivery bring the truck back to work. Saves me a day in gas driving to work and back.

Sounds like I won't be plugging it in. You Canadians and northern folks (I grew up in VT) balk at 20 degree temps, but it is still cold! At 1500 watts, I won't be plugging it in unless I have to, I'll throw an extra layer on and drive until the vents get warm!

I like when it's so cold that your nostrils freeze as you breathe in. Oh February.
lol.gif

I don't miss that! You know it's cold when the snow/ice/whatever has that eerie crunch when you step on it, and your nostrils freeze up!

It's been many years since I've had a diesel powered vehicle but I work on big Cat diesel generators all the time. I like to set block heaters up so they come on at 80 degrees and shut off at 100. You do not need it any warmer than that to start and any hotter melts the oil film off the cylinders. No good.

Years ago, one of my friends had a diesel pickup and we made him a timed, relay controlled outlet with a 10 Ga cord to plug into. It came on an hour or so before he had to leave for work. The reason we went with 10 instead of 12 was because it transferred power more efficiently with zero drop. Heaters run at unity power factor so volume is important.

My Cat V16's at work each have two 3000 watt 480 volt heaters on em. They're always exactly 100 degrees.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
It's so cold here in January, we have to go out and jump-start the wolves.
lol.gif

Ok there Yukon.
crackmeup2.gif

... At 1000 watts for 7 hours a day for 30 days = $21 Canadian, ...
Why run it that long, every day? Reasonable usage with a timer should be much lower in cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back