Blends vs. Havoline Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

1998 Explorer 4.0 V6. 5000 Mile OCI with Purolator Pure One Filters. Havoline dino is $1.26 per quart. Name brand synthetic blends are $2.00 plus some change. Is the blend worth the extra 5 bucks per oil change? I drive a mixture of highway and city about 20,000 miles/year.

I posted this in another area, but i think it might be of some help here too.

I belive the Havoline stuff is a very well ballenced package and Caltex, or as you might say Texaco has done alot of work over the years to prove that some of there
engine oils with a 'mineral oil' base perform better in terms of engine
wear and handling engine deposits etc than the Synthetics.

Go for it. You'll do fine. My wife had a 1996 Explorer with the same 4.0L pushrod engine. She had her oil changed @ 5,000 mile intervals using what ever dino oil the shop had. When she sold it in 2001 it had 127,000 miles of running dino and it ran perfect. She should have kept it. Her 2002 Explorer is a POS
mad.gif
. The Havoline is a real good dino oil.

Whimsey

Whimsey- Just curious as to what kind of problems you have had with your Explorer? I was a Ford salesperson until recently and we had very little problems with the new explorer. I sold MANY of them and had 0 complaints. The only issue was with a clunking felt through the steering wheel, that if I remember correctly was just a bushing problem. there was a TSB about it, and was covered under warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by BlackF250:
Whimsey- Just curious as to what kind of problems you have had with your Explorer? I was a Ford salesperson until recently and we had very little problems with the new explorer. I sold MANY of them and had 0 complaints. The only issue was with a clunking felt through the steering wheel, that if I remember correctly was just a bushing problem. there was a TSB about it, and was covered under warranty.

So far it's only been electrical problems.
1 battery
1 alternator
1 overhead console
1 door lock mechanism on driver's door-not fixed
1 passenger door lock actuator-not fixed
The warranty is up in about 1,000 miles and the dealer has said that both reoccurring door lock problems will NOT be covered once the warranty is up. Even though they "attempted" to fix them during the warranty period. Unfortunately they are intermittent problems and have not shown themselves to the dealer when it's been brought recently. Murphy's Law in action. But her 1996 Explorer had even more electronics and gadgets and we never had a problem with it. It was a GREAT vehicle too bad she sold it
frown.gif

Whimsey

I really like this Havoline. Good base stocks, good addative pack, good price and very easy to find. I am using this in my wife's '03 Cavalier. Why pay more when your engine probably can't tell the difference?

I make my own havoline blend.
grin.gif
5.5 quarts of Chevron supreme (same thing as havoline) and 1 quart of havoline synthetic in my Jeep 4.0. Seems to be doing rather well. If you like the havoline I would suggest you look at costco if you have one in your area, you can get the chevron supreme for $11.99/case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back