Blend...just as good as full syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I think the Motorcraft semi-syn is as good as most full synthetics.

Are you really going to pucker over spending an add'l 8 dollars per/oil change a forego using Mobil 1? are you serious?

here's what i've been told by techs of different oil companies on their syn-blend mixes : 1.) PENNZOIL : S.U.V. , Mini-Van , and TRUCK syn blend ( 30% syn , 70 % dino ) 2.) KENDALL GT-1 Syn-Blend ( about 40% syn , > 60 % dino ) 3.) TROPARCTIC ( same as KENDALL GT-1 ) 4.) MOBIL 7500 ( < 20 % , > 80 % dino ) , 5.) CASTROL SYN-Blend ( 10 % - 30 % synthetic , wouldn't give exact figure , secret formula
smirk.gif
) . Currently using the PENNZOIL : S.U.V. syn-blend in a 5w-30 for 2000 Chevy PRIZM ( Corolla ) , picked up for less than $2.00 a qt. at PEPBOYS few months ago .

If you are in a very cold northern winter as in Alaska, then a full synthetic 0W-20 would be good for most circumstances in passenger cars. If your oil sump temperature is consistently above 260 F as with a heavy tow in a very hot summer temperature then a full synthetic would be best, as a 0W- or 5W-30.

For the other 99.9 percent of the time I believe a semi-synthetic oil is superior to a full mineral based or a full synthetic based oil.

aehaas

This is one of the reasons that I think Maxlife will do well in my cars. Both being 4-bangers without any mods or turbo. I believe that the PAO blended Maxlife will work well. It will also save me a little money on my 5k OCI, not as if that matters, but the principle of it.

My problem with blends is the lack of information. We already don't have a clue about additives used in ANY oil. When looking at blends they don't event tell you what percentage is syn. You just don't know what you are getting. Clearly not all the blends are the same, so how do I choose or decide if blends are worth the money?

Quote:

When looking at blends they don't event tell you what percentage is syn. You just don't know what you are getting.

Thats exactly why I've recently blended my own oil from other oils from off the shelf. I just hope the Shell Viscosity calculator is somewhat accurate, then that means I have a 10.6@100c cst oil with a VI of 188! I know for a fact that it is 30% PAO, 20% POE and 40% GrIII treated with ANs. Also a big dap of organic moly compound (pure organic Mo in a syrupy base oil). +/- %10 on the percentages. The XD-3 natively has overf 3200ppm of Calcium. Mmmm calcium + moly
banana.gif

Quote:

Food for thought.
30-50% of an oils cost is the additive package.

Ah confirmation. Having said that, have you noticed any relationship between the market value of moly, for example, and it's use in blending? I've always concluded that a good influence of add pack is the price of the materials.

The primary user of moly is the steel industry. The fareast has driven the price up considerabley over the past few years. Most moly's that end up in oils are not of the highest quality due to price and availability.

the CONSUMER REPORTS 1996 JULY issue that tested MOTOR OILS the VALVOLINE Durablend 10w-30 , stated that the flow characteristics were more like that of a conventional oil , think it be bit less . The old version of PENNZOIL PERFORMAX 5w-30 synthetic had the better low temperature flow of most other oils tested , wonder if that's true to this time . Wish CONSUMER REPORTS would due another testing and comparison of convetional , semi-synthetics , and full synthetics .
frown.gif

oops , the PENNZOIL PERFORMAX was 10w-30 , not 5w-30 , and flowed better than most other oils at low temperature .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back