Bleeding Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bleeding the brakes in my Subaru Outback on Saturday with my new Motive Power Bleeder (MPB) (great tool by the way!) and accidentally pushed all the fluid out. The reservoir was slightly discolored and hard to tell the fluid went past MIN until I heard the air coming out of the caliper. I do not push fluid through the MPB but use it to build pressure in the reservoir.

I shut the caliper bleed valve, filled up the reservoir, built up pressure with the MPB and opened the valve to let the fluid through until all the air was out. This was on the first caliper (for Subaru the first one caliper in the bleed order in Front Right (opposite the brake reservoir)).

Is there anything else I need to do? I continued with bleeding the rest of the calipers without issue.

Last edited:
Does it have ABS?

Yes, it's a 2015 Subaru Outback. Just to add, the brake pedal feels firm.

Last edited:
From what I understand if the car has ABS and you bleed it dry you must use an obd tool that can cycle the abs module.

Originally Posted by andyd
Have you driven the car? What happened?

Yes, we've driven it the last 2 days (finished the brake bleed on Saturday morning). Brake pedal is firm (normal) and brakes operate normally. No change.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
From what I understand if the car has ABS and you bleed it dry you must use an obd tool that can cycle the abs module.

I've read that as well, however, the forum posts where that happened (bled the system dry) the users had spongy pedal feel (air in the brakes). Mine feel normal. I may run it by the dealer and have them cycle the ABS.

Last edited:
I accidentally did the same thing in my '08 STI. I had to put an additional quart through to get all of the air out. No big deal.

Had no issues with ABS, likely because you're not bleeding through it...

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Originally Posted by andyd
Have you driven the car? What happened?

Yes, we've driven it the last 2 days (finished the brake bleed on Saturday morning). Brake pedal is firm (normal) and brakes operate normally. No change.

If everything is normal I wouldn't worry about it, you could find an empty parking lot and slam the brakes on (I usually wait till it rains or snows, a lot less drama), that will trigger the pump. If its still okay you don't need to do anything.

Originally Posted by 97prizm

I've read that as well, however, the forum posts where that happened (bled the system dry) the users had spongy pedal feel (air in the brakes). Mine feel normal. I may run it by the dealer and have them cycle the ABS.

That's why i asked about ABS. I think some of those abs units have a reservoir that can reintroduce air when activated. You might have solid brakes until the abs activates and releases air . I'd have a brake shop cycle ( I might not go to the dealer) and bleed the abs.

Last edited:
I was bleeding the brakes in my Subaru Outback on Saturday with my new Motive Power Bleeder (MPB) (great tool by the way!) and accidentally pushed all the fluid out. The reservoir was slightly discolored and hard to tell the fluid went past MIN until I heard the air coming out of the caliper. I do not push fluid through the MPB but use it to build pressure in the reservoir.

I shut the caliper bleed valve, filled up the reservoir, built up pressure with the MPB and opened the valve to let the fluid through until all the air was out. This was on the first caliper (for Subaru the first one caliper in the bleed order in Front Right (opposite the brake reservoir)).

Is there anything else I need to do? I continued with bleeding the rest of the calipers without issue.

I need to do the same to mine one of these days.

Yes, it's a 2015 Subaru Outback.

I'm curious why you are doing this to a car that's really quite new, still?

Originally Posted by Linctex

Joking?

Originally Posted by Linctex

Every 3 years is a reasonable replacement interval for brake fluid. Especially during the warranty, with dealer techs constantly opening the master cylinder cap exposing the fluid to moisture, when it is better left alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back