Bleeding Brakes.. What tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never bleed brakes before I have around 6 cars/trucks anywhere from 4 to 15yrs old to do. I've actually never thought about doing it just got used to the way the brakes felt over time. I want to make it as easy as possible and i've found this at sears --http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00921021000&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools . I have a gift certificate that needs to be used otherwise I'd get one from the auto parts store. Eric

That's a good tool for bleeding brakes.

I have 2 of these (1 plastic/nylon and the other one all brass barrel/chamber) and they have served me well over the years of bleeding brakes and testing various vacuum actuators.

1 big concerns for you: if your brake system already feels somewhat "spongy", you shall consider checking all the hydraulic rubber parts/cylinders/caliper pistons, etc. to ensure that there is no leakage due to corrosion by aged brake fluids (pitting on the cylinder bore surface is a norm with regular mineral-oil based brake fluids).

Replace the brake fluid along with any leaking braking components shall restore the braking performance of your systems.

Also: do vacuum braking carefully after replacing any major braking components and do your best to bleed the air bubbles even if it calls for quarts of brake fluid. Your patience shall pay off nicely if you can bleed off the micro air bubbles using hand pump.

I have tried a lot of different ways of bleeding brakes. The vacume based tools leave a lot to be desired IMO.

The best moderate cost bleeder tool I have found is this one:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

It almost makes flushing the brake system fun. I try to do so at least once per two years on all of our cars.

John

oh just a quick reminder:

Virtually all manufacturing lines use vacuum bleeding method: saw Honda and Toyota assembly plants when bleeding brake lines: they use a vacuum bleeding tank/canister that takes 4 secs to completely bleed a brand-new system and making it free from air bubbles.

Yes, I must say that the DIY vacuum bleeding tools are tricky to use. I have no problem using them to bleed off micro bubbles that normal bleeding practices failed to evacuate.

I've seen the bleeder in the second reply, although I was also hoping to use the vacuum portion of the one I was looking at to do a few power steering systems. Also i've found a similiar tool at harbor freight although it's plastic for thirty bucks cheaper. None of the brakes are really spongey just take a little more foot pressure to grab. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back