black oil

Hello, I recently bought a 1990 Ford F-350 7.3 diesel to haul hay with in the winter time. It has 162,000 miles on it. We gave it an oil change, and put rotella T oil with a Fram oil filter in it ( I know, not the best oil filter) We drove it for about 1 hour, and the next day, checked it, and it was black again ( Not as black as the oil we changed from it, but not the "new oil" color) I have never owned a diesel (truck) before, and I was wondering if it is usual for diesels to do that. Keep in mind that the engine looks great(really dont matter how it looks) and more importantly runs great. ( for a 20 year old diesel, it cold starts GREAT) Thanks for replies in advance.

That's normal, especially for an older engine. As a rule of thumb, if a diesel engine starts easy in cold weather, then it's in pretty good condition. Means you have good compression and the injector spray pattern and pop-off pressure are good.

well cavitation usually strikes them down before anything else. but the up side is their dead simple and cheep. Having owned several and still owning 2 the powerstoke is a more reliable engine but the IDI's definitely have their place.

talker

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
There's no telling how many miles you can put on those 1st generation 7.3L diesels. Great truck!!! I believe that model didn't have the turbo, correct?
Correct