Black oil in 95 Crown Vic 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I'v noticed the oil in my Crow Vic has been turning black. When checking level with a paper towel it seems to leave a fine particulate matter on towel. The car has about 140k but otherwise runs fine. I change the oil every
3-4K with 5W-30 semi-synthetic oil. Any thoughts why oil would be turning black quicker than normal? Thanks for all replies. gh

I assume the filter is replaced with each oil change. However, for visible particulate matter to show up on the wiping rag, it seems that the filter has quickly reached it's capacity or is for some reason not doing it's job.

Check the ducting for the airfilter housing for leaks ,make sure the air filter is clean and seals to not allow air to bypass the element. Also when was the last time the engine had a complete tuneup ? My 1992 Toyota v6 engine was turnimg the oil dark quick so I tried Auto rx.I followed directions "I did a 2 time cleaning "The Auto rx works.

Two problems. Oil turning black is usually cause by to rich a mixture of gas. fine particulate matter means something is wearing more than usual in the engine. UOA is in order for that problem.

If your air filter housing is anything like mine you have to remove the housing itself to properly install the air filter.

If you don't take out the box it's VERY hard to get the air filter in there to seal well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back