Bizarre electric problem

Car involved: 06 Saab 93 4 dr sedan.
Problem: All drivers door controls work except power door lock switch. Often open the doors with the remote will pop the trunk also, sometimes the trunk open without any input.
Door latch locks at 15 mph as they should and unlock when the Key is removed, sometimes the locks will cycle on/of quickly for 10 sec. Trunk release works some of the time. Windows, mirrors, illumination all work.
Not knowing any history of this car I started by removing and adding the BCM, all door modules, front and rear electrical center module, CIM.
Set the locking protocol and still the same behavior. Time to look around.

Removed the inside driverss door panel and tested the lock switch for 5v ground and trigger voltage, all good, triggered the lock motor and it worked fine. All connections are clean. So I have voltage to the lock switch, grounds ok and signal voltage is correct (2 resistor switch to deliver 2 different voltages for open/close trigger) to the door module which is part of the window switch but no output from it. Needs a switch module right? No.

When I was taking the panel off I see old grey primer dust, dead give away as to what is going on here. At some point the door had been replaced with an 03 door, on Saab like this one there is a quick connector in the door jamb.
The mounted the door with all the electric cables attached and just plug and play or so they thought. It has a 2003 door harness in an 06 car, it all plugs in but pins ever so slightly differently. Fortunatly I have a used one here and that took care of it. Check out the pin out for both then H8-3. 03 on the left 06 right.
2003.png
2006.png
20032.png
20062.png

wow nice catch.. would never think to look for different door plug wiring when they plug together.

It would make more sense to use incompatible wiring that wouldnt clip together if the wiring changed.

That's the thing they all plug in like they are supposed to. No big deal its all part of the job but when you start messing with cars with more than a dozen modules, fiber optic cables and multiple can bus it gets a bit intense and head scratching especially when they have been buggered with.

I wish you were closer I would enjoy looking at that. This is the sort of job I like doing, there is something about fixing something others had given up on using the same tools and test equipment.

That's the thing they all plug in like they are supposed to. No big deal its all part of the job but when you start messing with cars with more than a dozen modules, fiber optic cables and multiple can bus it gets a bit intense and head scratching especially when they have been buggered with.

So... You had a 06 to replace it with right??

Because the 03 panel just was not quite correct even though it "plugged in".

Yes that's right an 06 door harness. It had an 03 door with the 03 harness and the original 06 inside panel and door control module. Almost the same but not quite.
This is another one of those Euro trash stories, they were calling the car junk because it had electrical gremlins like all Euro cars. It was just a bad mechanic and nothing to do with the car, the electrics are all sorted now.

Good catch. I loved my 04 SAAB, but some of the stuff in there scared me a bit...

Its pretty sad that they didnt catch this from an industrial/design engineering standpoint, and ad some tiny tab in there to ensure that one was mutually exclusive. Wrong harnesses that fit into others is a good way to let out the magic smoke from many different pieces of equipment...

That would be the way to prevent this from happening. These pinned slightly different connectors plus missing one wire on one and adding one to another shorted the front door speaker also which took out the front right door and center dash speakers from the front amp.
Owning these cars is enough to keep you entertained but I wouldn't get rid of them, they are really high quality built.

Back