BITOG has ruined my life! A Newbie Tale...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait until he finds out about ARX and LC, the finer points of mixology, and starts putting quarts in the wife's freezer.

Welcome!

"Ooops, gotta go. The widow across the street just got home and I need to check her mileage and see if she is interested in trying out some GC so I can get a UOA on it later...."

Widows and oil, what a fine combination!

How dirty was the engine in the PT before you put the M1 in it?

My wife has an '01 PT that has been running just fine on M1 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filters for the last two years (after the dealer's "free oil change" program ran out). Everything's shipshape in the engine room as far as I can tell. No oil consumption at all, in fact, it barely gets dirty in 5000 miles. Mileage is excellent and it's about as quiet as that engine in that body can be. I've never once heard a peep out of the valves.

Depending on the condition of the engine before you changed over, you might have loosened some stuff that worked its way into one or more hydraulic adjusters. I wouldn't give up on the M1 yet. Oh wait. You already did. Nevermind.

Welcome.

BTW, nothing wrong with E-core technology. It's a sound design and my Chrysler loves ST filters.
cheers.gif

Got a break from changing the widow's oil, so thought I would post...

Thanks for the feedback on the 01 PT. I really wanted to use the M1 in it as I have read so much good about it, so I am thinking of running the Havoline with some AutoRx and see what we get. We bought it used with 50k on it, so you may be right, it may have knocked some crud loose inside. The Neon we bought with only 18k loves the M1, so you may be onto something. If the Havoline quiets it down, I may try M1 later in the summer and see what happens after 2 cleansing oil changes.

And on the E-Core design, I was just joking. I had read another post that was debating the merits of it, and everyone was very passionate about whatever side they were on. I like the Supertech filters myself (for the price), but the $1.01 Purolators at PB were just too good a bargain to pass up.

Hello Jeepman, I see that you are a Mopar guy also. Here is a tip, Mopars love Motorcraft filters. Oh, and Fred's has Havoline 10W30 & 10W40 on sale for $1.35 per quart. Also Havoline filters for $1.69 each. Enjoy.
grin.gif
grin.gif

gotta start with a big
welcome.gif
to BITOG.

With the neon, expect some noise. Its very common on neons. Also keep an ear out for piston slap. Its seems to be fairly common on neons as well. I found that GC in my 04 neon made the engine slightly quieter, but not much.

Also expect some oil consumption on the neon. It seems more prevalent on the manual trans cars than the auto trans cars. You also might want to check the intake manifold every now and again to see if there is any oil buildup in there.

It seems that some of the oil used goes through the pcv valve and doesnt make it all the way through the combustion process and sits in the bottom of the intake manifold. If you notice oil build up in there you might want to make yourself an air/oil separator to keep the oil out of there. Just ask and Ill give some insight on how to go about that on the neon. If you want to see a picture of my separator let me know.

Welcome aboard! I have been a lubrication junkie for 20+ yrs now.

I found this site about 2 or was it 3 or more years ago. Man I have lost track.

I would say this has got to be the best site of it's type on the web.

Anyway it's a great site with good people.

Did someone say free? MUST FOLLOW HYPERLINK! GET FREE AUTOMOBILE FLUIDS! Gotta go.....

(Actually, I must be hooked, because the MaxLife rebate is already filled out and in the mail. Just got a 5 quarter at WW this morning. Does this BITOG sickness include premonitions that get you to buy something BEFORE the rebate even is offered? Weird....)

Nice story. I bet your Walmart has your name/# posted on their bulleton board!

I know what you mean. I joined this site a few months ago. It is addicting. I now have to stop at all auto parts stores & Walmarts -- to check their oild stash. I used to have 0 Qts of oil -- until I needed to change. Now I have 10 qts of PP, 4.5 qts of GTX, and a 5 qt jug of MC -- all in 5w20. The PP and GTX were bought on sale -- or with rebates of course. I can't wait for the first of the month -- to see who has the best sales! There's still no Pep Boys in KC:( My goal is to dedicate 1 shelf of my Gorilla Rack for oil/filters. With 2 cars, I only average about 8K mi/yr on each. That's not enough oil changes:( I used to hate changing oil. Now I can't wait for the next one.

Welcome aboard. I also have an '05 Neon SXT. You need to check out Neons.org, and the 2gn.org forums.

Yes, I travel for my work a couple times a month. When I see a auto parts stores I often stop to see what oils they carry. It is definately a sickness.

There I have said it. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Jeepman, even after a year of visiting this site, it's gotten no better for me. I am now on a serious Neutra 131 jag with my three 4 banger "test vehicles." And the 16 year old 5 hp Briggs and Stratton tiller.
shocked.gif
I'm starting to feel like the Gene Wilder character swilling Woolite in the movie when he broke up with the...

quote:

Originally posted by jeepman:
Thanks for the feedback on the 01 PT. I really wanted to use the M1 in it as I have read so much good about it, so I am thinking of running the Havoline with some AutoRx and see what we get.

There ya go.

I'm impressed with that 2.4L motor. For an inexpensive mass-produced, mass-market motor, it works very well. Maybe I got an unusually good one, but it's smooth, quiet, very powerful for its size, and delivers excellent economy with the manual trans.

I'm not kidding about the oil staying clean either. I'm as surprised as anyone, but 5000 miles into the refill it's just barely darkened and still smells about like new oil. It's had frequent changes though so maybe that has something to do with it. When the dealer program was still in effect the changes happened on time, not mileage, so there was less than normal mileage on any one fill. Filters were Mopar the first four fills, then Mobil 1 twice.

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
You need to check out Neons.org, and the 2gn.org forums.

the people on 2gn.org are generally nicer than those on neons.org

Jeepman - I feel your pain (or pleasure?). I've been here a couple of months and have to check BITOG daily (if not more!). I have always been interested in car maintenance, but now I check for oil deals everywhere. Current vehicles are running too well - I am looking for an old truck that I can use the Auto-RX I have on the shelf. My wife thinks that I am having an online affair (maybe she's right). Anyone I talk with concerning the benefits of different oils gives me a perplexed look. There is no hope.

ZB you hit it right on the head. After posting this sad tale yesterday, I left for work early today so I could get the case of Castrol GTX for $.99 at Pep Boys before the rebate runs out this week. I didn't need the oil as mentioned in the original post, but it was such a good deal I had to get some. And like you said, I got that weird look from my wife on the way out the door like I was going to meet someone. Fortunately, I have the 92 Cherokee which I can tinker with different concoctions in, since the Mopars are too new and running too good. Ordered my ARX for the Jeep today, and looking forward to good weather to start the process....

As well, I was talking to a couple of gearheads here at work about oil today, and they told me I had issues. I just don't understand their resistance. THEY MUST BE ASSIMILATED!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back