BITOG Freemasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been curious about Freemasonry and thought someday I'd look into it. There's a ton of info on the web but I don't know how to discern the truth about it from the nonsense. There has to be at least a few on here so what can you tell me about it? What's the purpose of the Freemasons in 2014. How will I benefit from my involvement? I'm as busy as anyone so I want to make sure it's worth the time. And I'm 28 years old by the way.

Masons are varied by group here. One lodge carries on much differently than the next. I considered it once but passed.

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
They take a good man and make him better.

I'm sure in many cases that is true.
all i can tell you is that my Grandma's 3 Brothers were all Masons. of the 3, only 1 was the kind of person i would associate with were we not related.

It will be one of the best decisions you ever made. I am 29 years old, and I am also a line officer in my Lodge. It is the oldest and largest fraternity in the world. A brotherhood full of great men, some of the greatest men I've ever met. You will meet men from every walk of life there. From judges, sheriffs, teachers, construction workers to gas station clerks. In the Lodge we are equal, a mans wealth mean nothing. Want to know anything else PM me.

As far as the Lodges being different state to state. There are some minor differences as far as ceremony goes, but all the principles are the same. You can be from Ohio and walk into a Lodge in Florida.

Been a 32 degree Mason since 1996. Some great lessons to be learned and you will learn about yourself in more ways than you thought possible. Around here, the lodges are dying. Masons were very popular around the 70's and back. Unfortunently, we haven't been able to recruit younger generations into the lodges. A lot of members are simply departing this earth. Not sure what the lodge status is up north.

It wasn't a great fit for me.

I became a mason because my dad thought I ought to. He's been gone a long time and I wasn't able to ask him the questions when I began the quest. Even when he was alive and I asked questinos his answers were secretive at best, and positively cryptic at worst.

What I found: Lots of ritual and memory work. Much is on you to memorize forever some important things. Not a good fit for me.

Masons seek more light (more knowledge and understanding.) Perfect fit for me, but I was already doing that.

My lodge was full of old guys, and membership was declining. I was rushed to become an elected officer and full participant in the workings. Too much, too fast, and I was not looking for leadership position.

Other members were good/great guys, but took lodge work very seriously and expected the same from me. Not a great fit.

Overall, ritual and lodge work was not what I needed and still isn't. Being one of a group is a big part of it, and I don't do groups as I find out.

Different lodge, different membership, different time in my life and it might have worked. If Dad were in the lodge it may have worked. I have no hard feelings to the lodge or fellow masons, it just wasn't for me.

Seems to me to be a rather complicated and ritualistic group with no common central governing body. From some casual reading online the process to become involved is mostly up to the individual...no invite. You get interviewed for qualifying. Each local Mason organization may have different requirements or needs for that group. Seems very odd to me. They are highly secretive in the whole qualification, requirements, age, and initiation process. Codes, passwords, symbols....kinda strange. One bit of information is that most Mason groups require a belief in a supreme being and also are required to be involved in charity.
That's about all I know from a quick search. It's certainly not a group I think I would want to be involved in as I am independent, row my own boat, don't make oaths toward almost anything, and am an atheist.

Last edited:
i am 65 years old. i have a known lot of masons. one being my father in law. i have nothing but the best to say about the masons.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Seems to me to be a rather complicated and ritualistic group with no common central governing body. From some casual reading online the process to become involved is mostly up to the individual...no invite. You get interviewed for qualifying. Each local Mason organization may have different requirements or needs for that group. Seems very odd to me. They are highly secretive in the whole qualification, requirements, age, and initiation process. Codes, passwords, symbols....kinda strange. One bit of information is that most Mason groups require a belief in a supreme being and also are required to be involved in charity.
That's about all I know from a quick search. It's certainly not a group I think I would want to be involved in as I am independent, row my own boat, don't make oaths toward almost anything, and am an atheist.

There is no requirement to get involved in the charity work that we do, or such as the Shriners (which is a Masonic organization). Yes you are required to believe in God, by whatever name you may call him, but must believe in him just the same. There are many reasons for this, but they are not worth debating on an internet forum.

Each state has a Grand Lodge that governs all Lodges in the state. Lodges cannot choose what rules they want to follow in that state. Every organization has rituals and its own requirements to be a part of it. How is this odd? Most organizations have secrets. People nowadays have this miss guided sense of "I have a right to know". Well no you don't. IF it is not government or public related. If it has nothing to do with you, or you are not part of it. It's none of your business. Some people don't like that. So some take of with the conspiracies.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Originally Posted By: andrewg

There is no requirement to get involved in the charity work that we do, or such as the Shriners (which is a Masonic organization). Yes you are required to believe in God, by whatever name you may call him, but must believe in him just the same. There are many reasons for this, but they are not worth debating on an internet forum.

Each state has a Grand Lodge that governs all Lodges in the state. Lodges cannot choose what rules they want to follow in that state. Every organization has rituals and its own requirements to be a part of it. How is this odd? Most organizations have secrets. People nowadays have this miss guided sense of "I have a right to know". Well no you don't. IF it is not government or public related. If it has nothing to do with you, or you are not part of it. It's none of your business. Some people don't like that. So some take of with the conspiracies.

First of all....I have nothing against any group that wants to organize...as long as it is lawful and doesn't harm others. I also am not one to think the Masons are involved in conspiracies. But....if a person wants to look into a group (any group), but finds little definitive information on that group....and members of such a group share very little about what is involved in the organization....well, I'm sorry but that is a bit strange. Not that there is a right or wrong about it, or anyone's business.....but it is strange. Rituals, especially secretive ones, also can come off to those not a member as strange. Why the secrecy? How is somebody supposed to have a clue about the Masons if everything is secret and you don't even recruit members? To many folks....that is odd.
I think you are being a bit defensive when I am only expressing my opinion on the little known subject.
Secrets have always aroused suspicion...it's natural.

I knew someone would start the whole Conspiracy and Secretive [censored] when I 1st read the topic title. Bound to happen when the Mason's come up. Misinformation and bogus info seems to be the norm when it comes to the Mason's these days. Don't believe the anti Mason bigotry you watch on TV or hear about from non Mason's.

I am not a Mason myself. My Dad is though and has been since the early 50's. The Mason's are a good organization and they do a lot to help others. They also take care of their own. It is a Brotherhood.

There is nothing wrong with keeping aspects of it private for those who join either. I know little about their inner workings myself. I do know my Dad is a wonderful person and the other Mason's I know are as well. I was asked to join but declined because social gatherings like that are not my thing but I felt highly honored I was asked.

It definitely is not for everyone. I don't think the youth of today, for the most part, have the moral character nor strength of commitment to be a Mason and that is why it is so hard for them to recruit new members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back