BITOG Consensus on EMPI axles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one and it was a bit short,causing all kinds of wobbles and vibrations.Dont know how the Taiwanese cant measure a shaft better than that.

Scrap metal, 99% of aftermarket shafts are a waste of time and money.
Either reboot the original or get a good used one and reboot, have them ready to go so its just a normal swap job without tying the car up longer than necessary.

Use either OEM boots and clamps or Rockford dura boots (better than OEM in most cases).
Course you could just buy OEM if you feel like spending the long $$$.

I recently installed a set of Carbone Select (new not re-built) axles in a 2004 Honda Odyssey. They fit and work well so far.

I sold A-1 Cardone for years. Ground down hot spots and welded up low spots. Not using them.

The Cardone Select is probably the same part built in the same Chinese factory. But that is worthy of consideration.

I used Raxles for my B18 swap in my 4th gen Civic....it was the most expensive part of the car. Quality is there but together they were probably worth as much as the whole Civic LX 4-door was. Too expensive.

Mazda wants $355.00. Not using them.

Ford parts websites want about $350 shipped for the Fusion axle but more thorough investigation revealed that for some reason, Ford elected to use unequal length axles on the Fusion instead of just using the same suppliers that Mazda was using. Too expensive, wrong part.

I know a Dallas Driveshaft shop that will rebuild my CV axle using premium components, but I will have an extra day of down time and it costs $150.00.

The irony is that I don't really need a CV axle. Mine is still intact and quiet. The intermediate shaft bearing is starting to growl.(first part that won't be labled FoMoCo! It will probably be labled Aisin) But it does have 142,000+ miles on it and I know the boots' days are numbered. I'm replacing the whole intermediate shaft and just want a new axle on there since I am taking it off anyway.

I also don't want to fight with separating the intermediate shaft from the CV axle. (came apart with no problems on my Daytona TurboZ C/S. Had a [heckuva] fight with my Integra GS-R)

I think I'm gonna' roll the dice on it. First hint of vibration and it'll come back out for a refund and I'll get my driveshaft rebuilt in Dallas. It'll already be out of the car so minimal downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back