Birds of prey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Ohio and 5 years ago you never would have encountered these birds in my area. Armature photography is a hobby of mine so I thought I would share some photo's here.

This is a Osprey.
DSC00029.JPG

DSC00033.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

This Bald Eagle and it's mate live close by.
DSC00293.JPG

DSC00156.jpg

DSC00372.JPG

DSC00086.JPG

DSC00099.JPG

Nice pictures.

What part of Ohio? Where were the eagle pictures taken?

I'm not sure on the fish species since there is not much left. The Osprey I photographed at Atwood lake in Carol County Ohio. The Eagle is close to my home in Tuscarawas County close to New Philadelphia, Ohio

I'm very familiar with the area. I live by the Portage Lakes. I get hawks and falcons in my yard all the time. Closer to the lakes we see osprey and the occasional eagle. Is that eagle nest easily viewable?

The Osprey nest is easily viewable, it's directly across the street from Atwood lake marina East at the top of a power poll just outside of Delroy.
One of the Eagle nest close to New Comerstown has public access off River RD ( Co RD 16) but it's about 100' away. Another Eagle nest closer to my home in Midvale is on private railroad land but I have permission to access it.
All photo's were taken with a 200-500mm Tamron zoom and were taken from quite a distance away.
You cant miss the Osprey nest pictured here.
DSC00029.JPG

Eagle nest close to my home in Midvale on private railroad property. When the tree's blossom in it won't be so visible.
DSC00120.jpg

Eagles nest in Newcomers town here, notice the "White Wash"
DSC00298.JPG

Thanks for sharing. I have a friend that lives in New Philly. I might have to take a road trip to see him and the eagles.

Very nice pics! My daughter's new favorite bird is a Peregrine Falcon -- which she recently wrote a report on. They have been recorded at >250mph in a dive.

New Philly? I've Got Family there!
anyway, we've had Peregrine Falcons Nesting on some of the Downtown Rooftops here for probably about 15-20 years now. (forget if it was a Natural nesting, or if they were introduced... it was like 15-20 years ago...)

For the past 3 years I had been shooting the Eagles with my 70-200/2.8, the lens was fast enough but just didn't have enough reach. Last fall news started spreading about a new Tamron 150-600mm for around $1,100. In Dec it was available for pre-order with a expected delivery around the end of Jan of this year.
Long story short is the lens is still not available for purchase today and back in Feb I purchased the 200-500 and I've been very happy with it.
When the new 150-600mm is actually available for purchase I'm sure I'll pick one up.

Last edited:
Pretty amazing photos. I've seen many of these in the wild through my times as a Boy Scout and numerous vacations to national parks as a kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back