Bike Chains: Longevity & Quality

IMHO, off road moto chain lube should better than boutique lubes.. they claim non sticky and made for dirt. For example motul off road, 9€ 0.4L..
I'm not into the boutique bull 💩
Warning: chain maintenance is a whole 'nuther subject!
Wanna start a thread on that?

How many miles did you get on the Xx1? What type of maintenance and what’s your riding style (masher, spin out etc)? I’ve had good results with sram myself, and I much prefer their quick link setup to the shimano single use pin…. Can’t believe an 11spd chain saw thousands of miles without excessive stretch causing cog wear though.

The original XX1 chain lasted about 5 years and at least 3,000 miles before reaching 1/16" of stretch over the top span. My chain maintenance is described in the other thread. I clean and lube it after every MTB ride. The Shimano chain lasted about 1 year and less than 1,000 miles under the same conditions and maintenance. My riding is a mix of mud, dust, sand, from WA to OR to CO to UT with lots of steep climbing. I tend to spin rather than mash most of the time, but riding up 20-25% grades on a 30-42 gear you can't help but mash.
Overall, the XX1 chain is about 4 times more durable than the Shimano. And costs about the same ($40). Retail price is twice that but most places sell it for half price.

Back