Big Changes for WIX 51334 - Pics

Wix's parent company is Mann, which is the OE supplier for Hyundai/Kia. The Mann part number is W811/80

The Napa Platinum is on sale this month for $8.99, which is still a real US-made Wix. If you don't like the XP/Platinum for some reason, there's also the Wix 51344

Originally Posted by The_Cams
it didn't like it at all. Noisy and mpg dropped. Switched it out to OEM and the engine ran quiet again, mpg jumped up to normal.

Fake news. An oil filter did not alter your MPG.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by The_Cams
it didn't like it at all. Noisy and mpg dropped. Switched it out to OEM and the engine ran quiet again, mpg jumped up to normal.

Fake news. An oil filter did not alter your MPG.

THIS!

I bought a case of them years ago for my Integra. That was basically what the catalog said in place of various Honda filters made by Fram, Toyo Roki, and Filtech. I remember there were owners (myself included) who would go out of their way avoiding the Fram and getting the Filtech or Toyo Roki.

Those were always really wide. I remember they sort of cross-referenced to either a Fram PH6811 or PH3593. Also the AC PF1127 which at the time had a P-type gasket.

This could be nothing more than standardizing the can size. The media may be the same size. You will never know until someone cuts the two different one open. Ed

SubieRuby: I would not discount CAMS experience. Ive had it happen. I didn't look at MPG, but the engine was so noisy it sounded like it would fail if I didnt try another filter. Happens after OCI on many VVT engines. May be a VVT death rattle due to somthing going on in the oiling system. Started to really see this on my Toyota Yaris with VVT. Intake Cam out of phase could alter MPG.

The true experiment would be to remove and replace same filter to see if the racket would go away. I did this on the Yaris and it did come and go with OE Japan denso v. service part Thai denso toyota filters. If the filter is not to blame in a particular instance, it could be that moving a air pocket "water hammer" through the VVT system either jams it or dislodged it. I Haven't experienced this on cars that do not employ hydraulic VVT.

There IS something going on. I cant deny it anymore and I don't have resources to solve this puzzle.

You would think if the VVT "Jammed" it would throw a code where the ECU looks at intake cam position (retard/ advance) and the cam is not in the expected position. This is why this continues to be a mystery.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by Ded Mazai
Originally Posted by diyjake
Going from made in usa to made in south korea is cutting corners to me.

For me, it looks like an upgrade. I highly doubt that the quality will suffer. The OEM KIA filter is one of the best filters in terms of build quality.

I wonder if it will show some specs now, there is none available for the OEM hyundai filter except one pass in a hyundai video saying 99% efficient at 50 microns.

Basically a boulder strainer.

They filter about the same as Purolator Classic / Proline filter and we have members here with 342K on the odometer using them.

So there goes your theory (shot to Hades) that basic filtering kills engines.

But hey, if you like spending more, go for it!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
SubieRuby: I would not discount CAMS experience. Ive had it happen. I didn't look at MPG, but the engine was so noisy it sounded like it would fail if I didnt try another filter.

There's a reason why I avoided speaking about the noise issue. While I have never seen this happen, a couple fairly believable people have said they have observed "some" effects traceable to a filter. But with the mpg, I don't see any possible way short of complete filter failure that sends piece into the engine that could clog the VVT like you say. As far as a functioning oil filter, there is no possible way it will affect VVT or MPG.

While it looks like an oem, in fact it’s the same as a Carquest premium filter. It has 6 inlet holes and oem has 5. No one really knows if the filter media is the same

@ $5 each @ the stealer the oe Kia-Hundai filters for girlfriends 18 Kia 2.4 work well + will soon buy more with 6 month changes per the owners manual! 10-30 quaker state ultimate durability oil + running great + NO consumption!

Stick with these Korean filters on the Hyundais, they are built like a bomb to deal with pressure issues that some engines have had.

I recently received an order of Wix air filters from Rockauto, they are all stamped Mann Hummel.

Lots of changes in the filter world right now. My days of extended OCI are over, so I just use the factory filter where I can. No big deal.

Going from made in usa to made in south korea is cutting corners to me.
You do know WIX is basically German company and that you can get WIX filter from Germany, Italy, Poland, Austria, Bosnia, SOuth Korea, Mexico, Argentina, South Africa, Brazil, Japan, Taiwan, and USA?

You do know WIX is basically German company and that you can get WIX filter from Germany, Italy, Poland, Austria, Bosnia, SOuth Korea, Mexico, Argentina, South Africa, Brazil, Japan, Taiwan, and USA?
He said this a year and a half ago. I think he meant cutting corners to make more profit using cheaper labor. I agree with that. Wix is no longer an American company, it’s about the same as Hyundai making the Sonata in the USA. I think we are down to two oil filter companies in the USA except for small ones like Frantz. Fram and Clarcor.

He said this a year and a half ago. I think he meant cutting corners to make more profit using cheaper labor. I agree with that. Wix is no longer an American company, it’s about the same as Hyundai making the Sonata in the USA. I think we are down to two oil filter companies in the USA except for small ones like Frantz. Fram and Clarcor.
In bunch of countries you get Wix from labor is actually more expensive.

That Hyundai/Kia app was a problem with ALL the aftermarket filters a couple of years ago. My aftermarket repair company 4 store group went to OE filters for a time and later to this version to avoid engine fails.

Back