Bicycle disc brake pads - severe wear

I ranted, in another thread, about not being able to repair a hydraulic caliper on Jr's bike because I was unable to find a special (square in cross-section) O-ring.

As part of the same batch of repairs, check out these brake pads. No wonder Jr was complaining that the brakes weren't working well.

20201122_143509.jpg

Oops! I should have checked it out sooner. Surprisingly, the disc seems to be OK. Anyway, it's all good again, with new pads front and rear, and a new rear caliper.

That's impressive. I recently wore a rotor to .5mm - apparently the minimum is 1.5mm

I've started buying off-brand (Diomoce? or something) resin pads and replace often. I've not seen greater life from OEM Shimano, personally. Wish I could get semi-metallics to not squeal but no luck there.

Reactions: JTK
Haven't seen brake calipers without square seals actually. It's necessary for the piston to retract after releasing brake pressure, the deformation of the square seal acts as a spring. They can be ordered by size (ID, OD and width) and material depends on the type of oil you are trying to seal in.

Don't understand the purpose of the topic. Yes brake pads wear and need replaced, but more importantly they need checked before they become dangerous. It's just as important on a bike as a car due to how vulnerable the rider is.

Maybe there was a reason that the whole brake system is an Rand R setup.

looks like you had the wheel on not centered right.
It's possible, but much more likely that the caliper was off a bit. There's some +/- to allow it to be aligned properly, but of course that's a double-edged sword.

Don't understand the purpose of the topic. Yes brake pads wear and need replaced, but more importantly they need checked before they become dangerous. It's just as important on a bike as a car due to how vulnerable the rider is.
Yes, I overhauled my wife's and my winter bikes last summer, and should have done this one as well.

Back