BG Synchromesh 2' fluids for 5 mt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a bunch of Subarus I have purchased a brand new 08 Mit's EVO X. Right off the bat the 5 MT is notchy. Manual call for GL-3 75-80. Evo gearboxs are notchy from way back and people deal with it...Some are using BG Synchromesh '2' and having good results. I want to make sure this is the right fluid. On WRX we used a 'cocktail' of Redline Light weight shockproof, GM Synchormesh and an 80-90 wt. gear oil. Seemed to work a lot better than the OE stuff. Recommendations for gear oil besides BG?

Last edited:
To clarify the 'cocktail' included a hypoid 90 oil. I really don't want a cocktail though..I know it's not exactly smart to mix different fluids. Some elements can be pre empted and such. I searched around and see alot of members using Amsoil products ie MTL, MTF etc. One was 5-30 which blows my mind lol.

Last edited:
The AMSOIL MTF 5W30 is a 75W85, or thereabouts. That might be a great fluid to try first. Check with Pablo (site sponsor) to see if that would work.
I just serviced my 2004 S2000 today with a 70/30% mix of AMSOIL MTF and MTG (75W90). I also added 2 ozs. of Auto-Rx, so it will only stay in there for 1000 miles. My initial impressione of this mix is very favorable. The S2000 is very finicky about fluids too.
Do you know if your tranny has brass or carbon fiber coated synchros?

A 75W-80 (an 80 weight) gear lubricant is 7.0 - 11.0 cSt. This is in the range of most 5W-20 and 5W-30 motor oils.

Pennzoil Synchromesh is 9.08 cSt -- it would essentially be a 75W-80. I would give this a try. Lots of people have had very good results with these synchromesh fluids.

synchros are brass. gears 1,2 and 3 supposedly have 'double synchros. You wouldn'nt think it when you shift. Most of the time I Rev match and Double Clutch. I'm at 900 miles and trying to break in the drivetrain as best I can. It's a brand new redesigned gearbox..as is all the parts on the EVO X. New car completely.Same old gearbox issues thugh. What about the BG stuff? Anyone you guys know using it? Although if Amsoil makes the goods I'm all for that. Just have to find a local dealer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sekretskwirl04
To clarify the 'cocktail' included a hypoid 90 oil. I really don't want a cocktail though..I know it's not exactly smart to mix different fluids. Some elements can be pre empted and such. I searched around and see alot of members using Amsoil products ie MTL, MTF etc. One was 5-30 which blows my mind lol.

Why does 5W-30 blow your mind? You probably need to think in real viscosity terms and EP/AW protection and proper FMs. Here's one that is just a hair more viscous than the Pennzoil mentioned: Amsoil MTF You can order from me and help support this site!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: sekretskwirl04

Why does 5W-30 blow your mind? You probably need to think in real viscosity terms and EP/AW protection and proper FMs. Here's one that is just a hair more viscous than the Pennzoil mentioned: Amsoil MTF You can order from me and help support this site!

lol..yes I was a bit thrown off at first but no scared. I've been using and hording the GC' for a couple of years and I know #s are decieving to the average consumer. I'll order it right now if I can. How long to get to 95728? That's in Northern CA near Lake Tahoe

Your closest warehouse is Las Vegas. A day or three. Just order with the link I gave you or call 1-800-956-5695 and give the clerk #515729 and tell them what you want.

good deal. If it kills the notchness I'll make sure and give you props' on the Evo X site. EVERYONE is having this issue and I'm sure a bunch of the owners will be looking to get the stuff

I just ordered 3 quarts to start off. Coming from the Portland, OR wharehouse apparently. I should have it soon enough. Will post feedback. thanks mucho. I love this site. Great info here and smart people as well

900 miles is not enough to break in a trans.
Give it a while, and learn it's peculiarities.
Better fluid is a great idea, and inevitable, but at least 5,000 miles of normal driving are needed to burnish and seat things. Maybe longer.

I would avoid cocktails of fluids. Seems to be a fad.

Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF should work great. RoyalPurple Synchromax might be a tad thin.
If Pennzoil Synchromesh was a full synth, I would recommend it more often. If that is your choice, practice a shorter change interval.
BG is vague with fluid specs. A VOA off their SyncroshiftII would be interesting since they use it to to cover a wide range of manual fluids from ATF-gearoil. Thats a wide visc range.

You should UOA that factory fill too. If you're unhappy with the shift feel(fluid might not be the fix with certain MTs these days), definitely dump out the factory fill ASAP for something else. At least you have a spec(75w80) to work with.

so I got the Amsoil MTF from Pablo..quick shipping rocks. Today it went into the gearbox. Then I warmed it up for an hour or so on the back roads here. Still notchy. Brand new gearbox with 1500 miles now. Seems all the new X owners are having the same notchy issues. Some worse than other with some grinding.Me? I have no grinding. I spent most of the 1500 miles double clutching and rev matching...I basically babied the heck outta' the gearbox in fear of ending up with grinding issues.

If I pause a split second between shifts (in neutral)it then slides into the next gear nicely. Sorta' like the synchros are taking their time slowing down enough to work. It reminds me of the 98' Jeep wrangler that had similar issues. I ended up trying 140 and fixed the problem.

Next obvious question is would you recommend mixing the Amsoil MTF with a thicker Amsoil gear oil? Pausing between shifts is just not acceptable. I did go to the dealer yesterday with this issue and all they said is 'that's how they shift'...nothing wrong lol

*I ended up trying 140 and fixed the problem*

What 140 did you use? I agree,pausing between shifts is totally not acceptable. I`m in the same boat.

I believe it was Castrol. That was a severe case with the Jeep. It would not go into gear almost sitting still...got better as it warmed up. I know you guys are recommending against 'cocktails' but I think I read that same brand cocktails might be OK

sekret04 - It can take many thousands of miles to break in a manual trans. And maybe even more!
A suitable fluid is very important to feel, and that is a lot of the joy of owning a stick shift.
Just don't expect the tranny to feel right yet, no matter what you put in there.
Also we have to learn how each trans likes to be shifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back