BG Products Universal Synthetic ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

A well-known Volvo shop around here uses this particular ATF in transmissions which require JWS-3309 specification. The shop owner also claims to use some additive by this company which I forget the name of, but he makes claims that it works better in Aisin-Warner automatic transmissions than Mobil 3309.

I have always used 3309-compatible ATF and this BG Products stuff makes no claim to this. It is, however, a synthetic fluid. I find compatibility a little hard to believe, as the guy was also recommending I flush my transmission at the same time when I was simply making an inquiry on if I could buy Mobil 3309 from him. He also claims Mobil 3309 does not hold up as well in A.W. transmission as this B.G. fluid he is using. I notice they also sell flush machines on the same page....hmm...should I be weary of this guy's recommendations? I had no plans to change my ATF anyway since I just did it recently, but I've never heard recommendations such as his before, so I'm seeking your opinions on this particular ATF, noted in the title of this thread. Thank you!

The fluid info that I could find is on this page: http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

A lot of shops just use BG products out of convenience. There's no telling if it's actually any better than the Mobil in your application, but BG is his supplier and he wants you to buy a flush.

BG does, in my experience, make good products. I have used BG full synthetic in my truck's transmission since about 58K miles (currently 85K miles) with no problems. It shifts the same as it did on the factory fluid, however your results may vary since you have a completely different transmission with a different fluid spec.

I think I'll stick with Mobil 3309 or equivalents. Forgot to mention he said he wants $300 for a flush. I thought that was INSANE.

I have not used BG products and prob. never will as they are too expensive. Universal ATF is nothing new almost everyone has one now including WolfHead. So get used to it. Maxlife is almost a Universal if you look at all the specifications they recommend it to be compatible with. Even Generic GM Dex IV has a long list of ATF's it can replace including T-IV,WS 3309 etc..... So no need to spend big. I think 3309,WS,T-IV are all weak in the knee's and can be improved upon and none of them are so different that you really need to use their product.

Originally Posted By: hal
I think I'll stick with Mobil 3309 or equivalents. Forgot to mention he said he wants $300 for a flush. I thought that was INSANE.

Wow!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I have not used BG products and prob. never will as they are too expensive. Universal ATF is nothing new almost everyone has one now including WolfHead. So get used to it. Maxlife is almost a Universal if you look at all the specifications they recommend it to be compatible with. Even Generic GM Dex IV has a long list of ATF's it can replace including T-IV,WS 3309 etc..... So no need to spend big. I think 3309,WS,T-IV are all weak in the knee's and can be improved upon and none of them are so different that you really need to use their product.

So are you saying I could use Dex IV in place of Mobil 3309? I have heard somewhere before that it may be compatible, and a superior fluid anyway. Please tell me more if you can?

***edit*** or is it dexron-vi i can't remember?

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use any BG service. Although 300.00 is very pricy. I do 6.0 powerstrokes with SP fluid for about 100.00 less then that. They hold 17qt of syn fluid. I use the bg machine though with no chemicals

Originally Posted By: hal

Yeah $300 is way too much. The GMC dealer near me quoted me $208 for a Dex VI flush on my Yukon XL. The tranny holds 14 qts and I'm not sure how many qts are required for the flush.

Also, my brother-in-law owns a service shop and he recently did a BG flush on my mom's Nissan Maxima. It cost $190 (no family discount).

Last edited:
Mobil 1 3309 and Universal ATF are also compatible. Was just curious if the new Dexron IV spec was.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
I wouldn't hesitate one bit to use any BG service. Although 300.00 is very pricy. I do 6.0 powerstrokes with SP fluid for about 100.00 less then that. They hold 17qt of syn fluid. I use the bg machine though with no chemicals

It's a 16 quart flush. i don't know what that guy is thinking at that shop! I think I will call again and make sure he gave me the right price.

hal it's Dex VI not Dex IV. The last time I used the BG machine I brought in 15qts of M1 atf and used their fluid exchange machine with chemical and it cost me $110 with tax. That was at 175k. I now just do multiple drain & refill with ST or Castrol Dex VI.

That is about the going rate for a full synthetic BG transmission service. Assume that fluid costs about 10-12 per qt. Then an hour of labor, shop supplies, etc and you are at about 300.

It's worth it to me because I know BG stands behind their products.

But you can also use Amsoil, RP, and M1 and have good results.

I have had BG running in my Titan and after 40k on the fluid, it still looks and smells new. Shifts just fine.

Last edited:
I own a 2004 C70 HPT with the 5 spd aisin trans that requires a JWS3309 fluid.

When I first bought the car, I took it to the dealer to get a full ATF flush.

At this time, the car was still under full Volvo warranty.

They evacuated the used factory fill and flushed and refilled with BG universal synthetic ATF.

I ran it in the car for 20,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.

I've since done an ATF flush in my garage myself with Toyota T-IV (JWS3309) completely replacing the BG stuff.

My BG flush at the Volvo dealer was $160 and that was back in 2007 at a SoCal Volvo dealer.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Yeah, $300 is pretty insane. Just use the Mobil in that case.

That is insane! we charge $169 with the BG Full Synthetic. The CVT Fluses are $299, but when you consider that Nissan CVT fluid is $25 a quart, the bg is a better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back