BG EPR - what oil to use?

Are there any particular oils that work better with BG EPR? I will most likely use a dino since it will be in there for 20min unless there is a good use syn.

Last edited:
I'd just use the cheapest oil being supertech diesel which dual rated so it's safe for gas engines. But if the oil you have in there is only a few thousand miles old i would just pour it in.

You can also run it for more than 20 mins. 20 mins is a waste why bother buying it. Leave it in there for at least an hour preferably 2 since thats what shops do with it. Won't ever harm anything. If it was harmful to engines they wouldn't even sell it. Wont hurt any seals or gaskets.

You want to 1st change your oil and oil filter. Then put on a cheap oil filter and the cheapest dino oil you can get. Then start the car up and get it to operating temp, then put in the BG EPR and let it idle for 20 to 30 minutes. The reason you need to use new oil is to see if the product has done anything, and with the new oil filter you can cut it open afterwards to see if it caught anything.

My concern would be that at the end of an oci both the oil and filter would be already quite loaded with contaminants.
if you dont do long oci it will be fine. i guess we are not discussing sludge monsters.
black oil with micron soot, no filter on market will be able to catch it.

I used it when getting ready to do oil changes. Friend that works for VW as a tech said that was what they used for the bad oil burning cars that came in. warm it up, add the EPR, run at about 1500rpm for 20 minutes then change it.

Definitely has a strong smell to it. I don't currently have any bad oil burning rides. I can say that as "maintenance" I have no problems using it. My kids cars have 177k and 222k respectively and I have used it on them. When I change the oil on them the oil stays clean, hard to see on dipstick for a while. Other cars I check and help with, just idling to check for leaks etc the oil is already dirtier and easy to see.

You want to 1st change your oil and oil filter. Then put on a cheap oil filter and the cheapest dino oil you can get. Then start the car up and get it to operating temp, then put in the BG EPR and let it idle for 20 to 30 minutes. The reason you need to use new oil is to see if the product has done anything, and with the new oil filter you can cut it open afterwards to see if it caught anything.
Yes, this is exactly what I have done with EPR on Ecodiesel engines... works great.

My concern would be that at the end of an oci both the oil and filter would be already quite loaded with contaminants.
I am probably doing this in about 1800 miles, but I am also running HPL EC right now so I want to see what that did on its own and not risk overloading the existing oil and filter with whatever the EPR cleans. When it comes time for the oil change I am draining it, throwing in a $20 super tech/orange can combo, running the EPR, draining it and then putting my normal M1/Fram Endurance back in for another run with the HPL EC.

Is yours an oil burner? I am going to run the EPR solely to attack the rings in my 2007 Camry.

Back