BG Engine Assurance: Someone talk me out of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
My BG rep was solid and I've never seen any negatives from using their products. They make quality additives and one of the best Universal ATFs you can buy.

If you follow the BG plan I have no reason to believe that they won't follow through.

So this is actually one area of concern. The wording around what they will and won't cover is good for the most part, but I can see a potential loophole or two. I need to get it in writing that they'll cover my exact car if I do XYZ.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
My BG rep was solid and I've never seen any negatives from using their products. They make quality additives and one of the best Universal ATFs you can buy.

If you follow the BG plan I have no reason to believe that they won't follow through.

So this is actually one area of concern. The wording around what they will and won't cover is good for the most part, but I can see a potential loophole or two. I need to get it in writing that they'll cover my exact car if I do XYZ.

I would speak with the service manager about the plan; ask him for his thoughts on the BG program and/or the local rep.

You could also talk the the finance manager about an extended warranty. It may make sense for you to go that route.

How long do you plan to own the Mazda? Does your past car owning history support going this route? If you're afraid it's a grenade and plan to keep it anyway and you get what you want in writing why not?

I used BG MOA for many years. I no longer use it with modern oils. It was recommended by the Mitsubishi Stealer. My truck had lifter noise and MOA was what the Stealer recommended. It helped with the tapping, but it was not treating the problem, just a symptom.
There was a TSB years later about the lifters (lol).

A friend of mine is a mechanic for the city I reside in. They use conventional NAPA oil and use MOA in every OCI @ 3000 miles and 44K/tranny additives for police/firefighter vehicles. He told me that the engines are in immaculate condition.

It is a waste of money in my opinion, but that is government at it's finest. They think this is the 1990s, when BG was popular. I learned the motor oil secrets on BITOG!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Given that this Mazda is almost certain to die before 150K, this might be a solid plan in that it'll allow you to tap the resources of a third party for most of the cost of replacement.
Other than a possible excess of weasel wording in the warranty documentation, I can't think of a good reason not to do this.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would think the fine print mentions oil related failure. That would be rare.

That's what I'm wondering: does it cover only oil-related failures or ANY engine failure?

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

That's what I'm wondering: does it cover only oil-related failures or ANY engine failure?

Right I would really read the fine print on this one, I doubt theyll be covering failure from apex seals or something similar. Probably only if its due to lack of lubrication,which rarely happens now. Iif this was any other car and lets say the timing chains failed, or it threw a rod, they would not be standing next to you writing you the $3k check. They probably want you to pay for the engine removal and tear down as well, so you could be on the hook for 8-10 hours of diag before they approve the money, if any.

I thought that there was a BG treatment for dirty intake valves that was well thought of.
The fine print online looks fairly generous, seems like you are looking at plan 2...
"Covers engine and fuel system: Pistons and rings, wrist pins and bushings, rods and rod bearings, cam shafts and bearings, push rods, intake valves and guides (grinding adjustments excluded), turbo bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder liners or bores, valve lifters, timing chains (timing belts and damage to engine parts due to broken timing belts excluded), rocker arms and pivots, oil pump, timing gears or sprockets, distributor drive gear, oxygen sensors, PCV, Mass Air Flow sensor (only if BG 407 is used), injectors (deposit-related malfunctions only).
Reimbursement under Plan 1 shall not exceed $6,000 (six thousand)
Reimbursement under Plan 2 shall not exceed $3,000 (three thousand)
Reimbursement under Plan 3 shall not exceed $1,000 (one thousand)"
Given that we're talking about a rotary engine here, it would make a lot of sense to make complete sure that it is covered appropriately!

Assuming when it does go you actually want it repaired? More probable that the rest of the vehicle will go before the engine so the BG will have been of no value. Most of these warranties, regardless of the oil company or additive company are not worth the paper they are printed on! find someone who actually collected on it?

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

They talk like it covers any failure of any lubricated engine part, unless it could reasonably be chalked up to some kind of defect.

I've been trying for the past several weeks to get someone to put more detailed exclusion criteria in writing. All my verbal conversations have been encouraging, but all they'll tell me in writing is that claims are evaluated case-by-case.

Thinking I'll have to give this one a pass.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Assuming when it does go you actually want it repaired? More probable that the rest of the vehicle will go before the engine so the BG will have been of no value.

Great point.

The calculus for my car is a bit unusual; engine failure is both more common and less expensive to address than for most cars. However, what you say makes a lot of sense.

Most of these warranties, regardless of the oil company or additive company are not worth the paper they are printed on!

That's my main source of hesitation here. The terms of this guarantee do seem to be much more generous than for anything else I've seen, but still...

find someone who actually collected on it?

Boy, I'd love to. No luck so far.

find someone who actually collected on it?

Boy, I'd love to. No luck so far.

Find a Mazda Dealer that uses BG products, and ask them the question. There is a listing on bgfindashop.com.

Per their "fine print page"
This is a retail service customer retention program.

First and foremost, why they are such nice guys

Quote:

What's covered...
Quote:
Covers engine: Pistons and rings, wrist pins and bushings, rods and rod bearings, cam shafts and bearings, push rods, intake valves and guides (grinding adjustments excluded), turbo bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder liners or bores, valve lifters, timing chains (timing belts and damage to engine parts due to broken timing belts excluded), rocker arms and pivots, oil pump, timing gears or sprockets, distributor drive gear.

There's a whole lot on what's not covered, but there's no mention of much in the way of wankel componentry in the list of items covered.

It (just like the schemes offered by other oil manufacturers) is there to make you a lifetime customer, through the fear of losing a very important warranty.

Lotteries use same techniques.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What is the back story on a 100K engine warranty; I thought I read there were a lot of renesis failures; at one time i thought I read it was 25-30% Perhaps this is a mitigation strategy suggested by Mazda. Certainly worth some research on rx forums. Might be worth it.

Early Renesis engines were awful. Early remans were much worse. At some point, the fiasco caused Mazda to extend the warranty on the engine itself to 8 years/100k miles from in-service date.

For 2009+, they made a ton of changes that addressed every known failure mode. The changes are so extensive that you can't swap the new engine into the old car without bringing over all the electronics. The failure rate for 2009+ seems much lower, though the engines still aren't exactly bulletproof. Mine was just replaced under warranty at ~75k miles (though it was probably a demo car and could have been thrashed during break-in).

I did post the same question on RX8Club.
So you have a brand new engine?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Per their "fine print page"

First and foremost, why they are such nice guys

Quote:

What's covered...
Quote:
Covers engine: Pistons and rings, wrist pins and bushings, rods and rod bearings, cam shafts and bearings, push rods, intake valves and guides (grinding adjustments excluded), turbo bearings, crankshaft and bearings, cylinder liners or bores, valve lifters, timing chains (timing belts and damage to engine parts due to broken timing belts excluded), rocker arms and pivots, oil pump, timing gears or sprockets, distributor drive gear.

There's a whole lot on what's not covered, but there's no mention of much in the way of wankel componentry in the list of items covered.

It (just like the schemes offered by other oil manufacturers) is there to make you a lifetime customer, through the fear of losing a very important warranty.

Lotteries use same techniques.

Yep. Had an email convo with them last night about this. They made it clear they had no interest in saying explicitly, in writing, that my car would be eligible.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So you have a brand new engine?

Mazda reman. Can't get brand new from Mazda apparently, at least in the US.

Yep. Had an email convo with them last night about this. They made it clear they had no interest in saying explicitly, in writing, that my car would be eligible.

LOL, I did same today...no response yet.

Unless they tell you that it's explicitly in, then come push/shove, it's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back