BEWARE! Quaker State Filters with Defective ADBV Alert!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun I was testing out my filter stash of Quaker State filters against the new Valvoline Maxlife oil filters I just bought on sale.

As a crude but effective test I sealed and blew into the center portion to seal if there was a decent seal.

Two of the three Quaker State filters were showing no restriction and were not sealing at all.

All of the Maxlife filters were air tight and weren't allowing any air out the outer oil inlet holes. The quaker state ones were allowing all the air through.

Really disappointed in Quaker State right now.

Bother are Purolator filters, but the Maxlife is a lot heftier and I can see why I have had some intermittent startup clatter in my valvetrain.

thumbsdown.gif

>I sealed and blew into the center portion to seal if there was a decent seal

Don't worry. Modern chemistry has given us some wonderful psychactive medications. You're going to be FINE.
wink.gif

Sorry about the wording, I blew into the center outlet of the oil filter.

All the maxlife's sealed perfectly with no air leakage, 2 out of the 3 QS I had never sealed and had no restriction.

If it can't hold air, it won't hold oil up in the engine.

lol.gif
Might be able to get other jobs as well!!!
lol.gif

If you have a good sucker, you might consider Phillip Morris...testing less restrictive filters for light cigarrettes....
freak2.gif

These responses are the dictionary definition of immaturity.

What, are you guys children or something?

This is really sad and extremely insulting.

I can take a joke, but when it gets out of hand and abusive, I won't take it.

Submitted to the administrator and moderators for review.

Lighten up Blazer!!

It just struck everyone funny that someone would blow into an oil filter to test its bypass valve effectiveness.

The mental picture was too good to pass up.

Nothing personal....you just kinda opened the door on that one.....report me if you must

He's not alone! Several members have done this in the aisles of Wally World and whatnot. I probably would catch the eye of some security cam and end up in the newspaper the next day as someone with an oil filter fetish.

I mean, it's just about the only pratical way to test it before putting it in service
dunno.gif

But if the Anti Drain Back Valve was coated with oil, and you blew throught the center hole.....

Would it seal properly ?
dunno.gif

I did they same thing you did with a Mobil 1 M-104 oil filter, and the ADBV did not seal. I would not worry at all.
smile.gif

I think that there's a big difference between oil and air in creating a seal, and I think that's how it got off topic easily.

Now if you hear more start-up noise with said Quaker State filters, it may be a correlation, or you may be biased due to knowing which filters didn't pass the test.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

Must be a cheaper and lower quality material being used or the construction isn't as good.

This is not a gap that oil would seal up.

I don't know if I would go that far to say it was lower quality, but maybe less pliable? I'm just being devil's advocate here, but is it possible that the seal is just a little dry and maybe when it gets some hot oil into it will work just fine?

Just a guess.
smile.gif

I can't believe what I posted got removed.
lol.gif

It wasn't dirty.

Oh well.

grm386wa,

Blazer would need some thicker skin to ever have a beer with us.
lol.gif

Your test is so flawed. Seals for pnuematics (air) are totally different than you would find on oil, hydraulic and fuel. Prime example would be in aviation. Planes that do not fly leak after extended down time. Seals have to be wetted to maintain proper seal. Your air test on a oil designed seal is invalid even if the other filters seal with them.

Hootbro

Every Maxlife sealed perfectly, and was almost 100% air tight.

Most of the Quaker states never offered any restriction, and they never sealed. If they can't seal then, then how are they going to seal oil from going back into the engine.

I am not talking about allowing some air through, they let all of it through.

Must be a cheaper and lower quality material being used or the construction isn't as good.

I think you will find the filters to be fine. As stated, holding air, and holding a viscous liquid are two different things. In addition, the oil will have agents in it to make the seal more pliable, and swell slightly. Don't worry.

quote:

Originally posted by HardbodyLoyalist:
Is it possible you got hold of some older QS filters that are re-badged Frams?

These are the newer white with green writing ones made by purolator.

quote:

Originally posted by Laminar Lou:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

I don't know if I would go that far to say it was lower quality, but maybe less pliable? I'm just being devil's advocate here, but is it possible that the seal is just a little dry and maybe when it gets some hot oil into it will work just fine?

Just a guess.
smile.gif

I thought this too, but I have had some dry startup lifter clatter on my truck for a while now since going to these filters.

Never happened before even with the Fram X2 but it has a silicone ADBV and sealed really well.

The thing is every one of the Maxlife filters were airtight right out of the box.

The about of air being let through is enough that even when oiled it will sill not seal properly.

quote:

Originally posted by milwaukee:
I can't believe what I posted got removed.
lol.gif

It wasn't dirty.

Oh well.

grm386wa,

Blazer would need some thicker skin to ever have a beer with us.
lol.gif

When you post something to help others and the first 3 or 4 replies are all talking about me sucking or blowing something then you tend to get a little irritated.

I can take a joke, but it went too far and got condesending and insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back