Better oil for the summer (No Amsoil reps opinions) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by HardCharger:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
How about Redline 5w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40? The new Elf 5w-40 looks outstanding, but I know it won't be popular among the rednecks on here.
tongue.gif

http://www.turbofrogperformance.com/PDF_files/ExcelliumLDX5w40_Customers.pdf

Which ELF is that? The 5W-40 LDX or the 0W-30 series? Or the 0W-40 DID?

Sorry, I realize it is a link for LDX.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
I'm not an Amsoil rep and I don't hate the French at all. I know TooSlick isn't going to be a promoter of any 0W-40's, though.
lol.gif

I like to see Doug Hilliary and TooSlick argue over the 0W-40's.
itschy.gif

So, TooSlick aside, which oil would YOU choose.

What's wrong with Mobil 1 0w-40? It's got a good track record, it's cheap, meets all specs and is easy to get. Too easy, apparently.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
What's wrong with Mobil 1 0w-40? It's got a good track record, it's cheap, meets all specs and is easy to get. Too easy, apparently.
rolleyes.gif

aj,

You gotta understand, part of the mystique is...well...in the mystique...if ELF oils were in every Autozone...

(OK, I would probably still like them.)

quote:

Everyone needs to make sure that when they're clowning around that they make it apparent. If someone takes offense, assure them that you mean no insult (hopefully you truly mean no insult) and let's keep us all in a "group hug enable" mode.

Well said.
cheers.gif

HardCharger, you have many good choices and that is the problem. I think the best 5w-40's are RL 5w-40, Amsoil 5w-40 and maybe the Elf Lord of the Rings 5w-40 (we havn't seen any UOA's but it looks promissing). The Mobil 1 0w-40 is geared more towards fuel efficiency. Good oil, but I prefer a more shear stable 40wt. It will get the job done I'm sure.

French "High Technology" is an oxymoron...
wink.gif

I'll give them credit for the best claret and best overall food though...
smile.gif

I grew up in Ronkonkoma and went to SUNY @ Stony Brook for my BSME degree ...the summers on LI aren't all that hot and long, due to the moderating ocean breezes.

I wouldn't even bother with a mid-range 40wt oil in this non-turbocharged engine; I'd run the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 instead of their "AFL" product. The S3000 has approx the same high temp, high shear viscosity as most SAE 0w-40's and is infinitely more shear stable. It also has a significantly lower evaporation rate than all the 0w-40s I've seen.

TS

quote:

I'll give them credit for the best claret and best overall food though

I'd agree with that, but the Asian and Italians would be a close second.

Ted your really YankeeSynthetics.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

I wouldn't even bother with a mid-range 40wt oil in this non-turbocharged engine; I'd run the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 instead of their "AFL" product. The S3000 has approx the same high temp, high shear viscosity as most SAE 0w-40's and is infinitely more shear stable. It also has a significantly lower evaporation rate than all the 0w-40s I've seen.

TS [/QB]

Since we're going there, I was thinking ATM 10w30 price wise this stuff rocks. Run it 15,000 miles and dump.

Here is my favorite article explaining why and Xw40 is not needed for North American Driving.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng14.shtml

quote:

"High-speed, long distance driving," by European standards, likely means several tens of miles at speeds above 100 mph. The power required to overcome atmospheric drag at 130 mph (most Audi's governed top-speed) is more than twice that required at 100 mph. The result of this is that at any average speed of less than 100 mph, your engine is under only half the load and is probably producing less than half the heat that Audi felt necessitated a 5W-40 oil. Driving at 75 mph in an Audi requires only about 25 hp, and does not heavily load the engine. Your engine is likely more than well protected with an API SJ 5W-30 if you drive mainly on public roads, and do not average speeds greater than 100 mph over distances greater than a few tens of miles. Short sprints up to 130, if you are fortunate enough to live where that is possible, should not cause a problem. Only sustained high-speeds heat the oil enough to significantly reduce viscosity.

What exactly is the critical warranty-related spec for this 4.2 V8 engine? One of the ACEA one's for extended drain intervals?

HardCharger,

How many years do you intend to keep this car?

How many total miles do you estimate you will place on it during that time?

How often do you accelerate hard (0 to 70 mph)from a dead stop?

Where do you intend to drive it to this summer? Are you going to drive it coast to coast, through the mountains or desert?

How often do you drive in a dusty envirionment?

What are your expectations of an oil?

M4L

quote:

Originally posted by messiah4linux:
HardCharger,

How many years do you intend to keep this car?

How many total miles do you estimate you will place on it during that time?

How often do you accelerate hard (0 to 70 mph)from a dead stop?

Where do you intend to drive it to this summer? Are you going to drive it coast to coast, through the mountains or desert?

How often do you drive in a dusty envirionment?

What are your expectations of an oil?

M4L

4-5 years
50-70K miles
every day
Md. and upstate N.Y. Eastern L.I.
No desert but some mountains
My expectations of an oil are that no matter what I throw at it, from traffic jams w/ the A/C blasting to redline through the gears it will laugh and ask for more. If I had a turbo it would bask in the turbos warmth like a beachgoer. That it could lube a jet engine on its days off. Is that asking too much?

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
What exactly is the critical warranty-related spec for this 4.2 V8 engine? One of the ACEA one's for extended drain intervals?

Besides the ACEA A3/B3/B4 the biggie is VW 502.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

TS
Since we're going there, I was thinking ATM 10w30 price wise this stuff rocks. Run it 15,000 miles and dump.

Here is my favorite article explaining why and Xw40 is not needed for North American Driving.
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng14.shtml

quote:

"High-speed, long distance driving," by European standards, likely means several tens of miles at speeds above 100 mph. The power required to overcome atmospheric drag at 130 mph (most Audi's governed top-speed) is more than twice that required at 100 mph. The result of this is that at any average speed of less than 100 mph, your engine is under only half the load and is probably producing less than half the heat that Audi felt necessitated a 5W-40 oil. Driving at 75 mph in an Audi requires only about 25 hp, and does not heavily load the engine. Your engine is likely more than well protected with an API SJ 5W-30 if you drive mainly on public roads, and do not average speeds greater than 100 mph over distances greater than a few tens of miles. Short sprints up to 130, if you are fortunate enough to live where that is possible, should not cause a problem. Only sustained high-speeds heat the oil enough to significantly reduce viscosity.

[/QB]

That's a good article but it is old. It doesn't even mention VW's new 502 spec. Just as BMW only recommends LL-01 for 2003+ that article is outdated for my car, technically. I want to listen to Audi's recommendation as far as weight.

HardCharger,

Based on the two choices and the answers you gave, either choice I think would be fine.

Given the two choices you listed, I'd go with AMSOIL, because they are located here in my city and the product is easy to get.

My prefered choice would be Shell Rotella Syn 5W40 for factory spec and very hard accelerations and driving. I don't see anything wrong with the G-III oils except for the deceptive marketing scheme by the advertisers.

Now for the type of driving I do MotorCraft 5w30 or Trop Artic 5w30 would be a better medium for this vehicle. I drive fast on the freeways, I just don't do the burn outs and jack rabbit starts anymore at the stop lights unless it is needed.

Right now both of my vehicles have MotorCraft and the other day I pick up two cases of Trop Artic at for $1 per quart and that is for the Semi-Sys API SM rated oil. Word has it that MC and TA are the same formulations, it doesn't really matter to me I will use it anyway. Don't get me wrong and think I go for cheap buying $1 oil. I have lurk this forum for a few years and now know that I don't have to pay big $$$ for decent oil.

I tend to sell my vehicles after a few years anyway. Unless you are stuck with a long term payment plan, you will probably want to sell it and get another vehicle.

So my suggestion to you is to choose the oil that makes you feel the most comfortable.

BTW I was a MOBIL 1 user for a decade. I wish I had BITOG forum years ago would have save me $$$.

M4L

Neither oil would be first choice! If I had to choose between the two of them I would go with Amsoil 5W40! I too do not like 0W40 oils much! If cost is no barrier I would go with Redline 5W40 I have used it down to -18°F dureing Michigan winters with great sucess. My second choice would be geniune Delvac-1 ordered from our Mobil site sponsor. My third choice would be Schaffers 9000 5W40 Semi-Synthetic. If I wanted a 0W40 I would not look that far from home youcan buy M1 0W40 domesticly at just about any parts store like AutoZone for $4.99 a quart!

If you should choose to use an Amsoil product their Series 3000 5W30 is about the closet to a sure thing as you can get! It does well in just about everything from mild to wild! I am not a big fan of 5W30. Their are only two 5W30's I take seriously Series 3000 and Redline's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back