Beta ratio

Oil filters are rated between 20 and 30 µm if i'm not mistaken and it seems that diesel fuel filters are rated between 8 and 10 µm but what beta ratio to expect for a given micron rating? I'm pretty sure it's not absolute, only nominal but what kind of efficiency to expect from the filters used in passenger vehicles? 50% or more? Filter manufacturers obviously won't give infos about this.

All Beta Ratio is just another way to say "Efficiency %". The Beta Ratio (the efficiency %) at a certain micron size all depends on the filter's media design and performance.

1667946889518.jpeg

Last edited:
Let's say we're talking about the Mann oil and fuel filters in one of my cars, does someone know what beta ratio to expect? Did someone run tests to determine this or has infos from filter manufacturers to guess what's to expect from the filters we run in our cars?

Let's say we're talking about the Mann oil and fuel filters in one of my cars, does someone know what beta ratio to expect? Did someone run tests to determine this or has infos from filter manufacturers to guess what's to expect from the filters we run in our cars?
Only the manufactuer can tell you the efficiency (Beta Ratio) due to testing them per standard procedures. It's a guess by anyone else without an official test.

Is it fair to think that a filter from a reputable brand (or OEM) will have a slightly better efficiency than the bare minimum set by the vehicle manufacturer or i am looking for infos that i can't get without reaching them somehow?

Is it fair to think that a filter from a reputable brand (or OEM) will have a slightly better efficiency than the bare minimum set by the vehicle manufacturer or i am looking for infos that i can't get without reaching them somehow?
You're going down a super rabbit hole, lol. What is the "bare minimum set by the vehicle manufacture"? Again, only they would know, and they will not tell you. The only spec that a vehicle manufacturer can follow is USCAR-36 for oil filters, which AFAIK only Ford follows for their Motorcraft oil filters.

The only way you're going to know the efficiency is if the manufacturer states an ISO test efficiency like most big name filter makers do, or you spend lots of your money having independent test labs run efficiency tests on the filters you're interested in.

Mmh this is a rabbit hole indeed, i am obsessed with this since i am setting up an alternative fuel filtration/storage setup and i'm trying to pick the best option. If i understand correctly, multiple passes through a standard filter with a nominal efficiency should still work and be cheaper.

Mmh this is a rabbit hole indeed, i am obsessed with this since i am setting up an alternative fuel filtration/storage setup and i'm trying to pick the best option. If i understand correctly, multiple passes through a standard filter with a nominal efficiency should still work and be cheaper.
There are massive threads on this, just saying.

Go look at fuel filters and look for the efficiency rating from the manufacturer. If it's not shown, then contact the manufacterer and see if they will tell you the efficiency/beta ratio info. That's all you can do. I would not use an oil filter to filter fuel. I'm sure there are some very efficient fuel filters out there.

Thanks. I'll report back if i can informations from a filtrer manufacturer that are not shown in a catalog or data sheet.

Just stick with the OEM filter...worry about filter efficiency on passenger cars is somewhat pointless in my opinion. Those engines will never see the same type of duty cycles as a heavy-duty diesel application.

Just put on a new oil filter and forget all that *@#&*!@## about efficiency, micron rating, caps/no, caps
aps yada yada yada.
To put this in a civil way, buy a well-known brand filter and change it at the manufacturer’s schedule.

If this is a custom application, Rural King or nearly any farm store sells 8-10 micron water or fuel filters for fairly cheap. Find a filter mount with the correct threads and pump away; I’d have an inlet and outlet pressure gauge and change the filter when you are ~75% loss of the psi rating of the bypass (if any) or when it’s say 5psi with no bypass. It will definitely be a test & evaluate.

Just put on a new oil filter and forget all that *@#&*!@## about efficiency, micron rating, caps/no, caps
aps yada yada yada.
Maybe all products ever sold now should have no technical specifications and just come in a generic white package since apparently none of that seems to matter these days. 😄

Back