Best ZDDP additive?

Need to get my oil from 800 ppm to 1000 ppm minimum or slightly more 1200. 13.5 quarts of 5w40 need treatment. can someone recommend a product that can do the job? Thank you.

PS Additive discussion only please. 5w40 diesel oil is hard to come by nowadays and I got ks.Delo CK4 oil which is only 800ppm. Than

Best ZDDP additive? I'd say OLOA 269R paired with some Vanlube 7611M, Molyvan 3000, and Molyvan 855 for good anti-wear, extreme pressure, and friction reducer synergy.

In other words, buy an oil that's already formulated with sufficient ZDDP and synergy with other additives instead of playing backyard chemist. Plus, by the time you pay for the inferior oil and the supplement, you're not far off the cost of just buying the right oil to begin with.

This:

RDY4WAR said:
Best ZDDP additive? I'd say OLOA 269R paired with some Vanlube 7611M, Molyvan 3000, and Molyvan 855 for good anti-wear, extreme pressure, and friction reducer synergy.

In other words, buy an oil that's already formulated with sufficient ZDDP and synergy with other additives instead of playing backyard chemist. Plus, by the time you pay for the inferior oil and the supplement, you're not far off the cost of just buying the right oil to begin with.

Boom! Nailed it.

Yea because those are all common off-the-shelf oils easy to find... :rolleyes:

OP said he already had the oil and just needed a boost in ZDDP, not a lesson in rare oils that you can't find for gosh sakes...

If you use the Redline break-in additive these are the specs and chart showing what it adds per qt.

Increases anti-wear level per quart when using.

One Bottle (16oz.) Capacity - Phosphorus - Zinc

15 quarts - 610 ppm - 736 ppm

12 quarts - 763 ppm - 920 ppm

10 quarts - 915 ppm - 1104 ppm

8 quarts - 1145 ppm - 1380 ppm

7 quarts - 1307 ppm - 1577 ppm

6 quarts - 1525 ppm - 1840 ppm

5 quarts - 1830 ppm - 2208 ppm

4 quarts - 2288 ppm - 2760 ppm

1 quart - 9160 ppm - 11040 ppm

(8oz.) when treating: Capacity - Phosphorus - Zinc

12 quarts - 382 ppm - 460 ppm

10 quarts - 458 ppm - 552 ppm

8 quarts - 572 ppm - 690 ppm

6 quarts - 763 ppm - 920 ppm

5 quarts - 915 ppm - 1104 ppm

4 quarts - 1145 ppm - 1380 ppm

(4oz) when treating: Capacity – Phosphorus - Zinc

6 quarts - 382 ppm - 460 ppm

5 quarts - 458 ppm - 552 ppm

4 quarts - 572 ppm - 690 ppm

3 quarts - 763 ppm - 920 ppm

(2oz) when treating: Capacity – Phosphorus – Zinc

6 quarts - 191 ppm - 230 ppm

5 quarts - 229 ppm - 276 ppm

4 quarts - 286 ppm - 345 ppm

3 quarts - 381 ppm - 460 ppm

(1oz) when treating: Capacity – Phosphorus – Zinc

6 quarts - 95 ppm - 115 ppm

5 quarts - 114 ppm - 138 ppm

4 quarts - 143 ppm - 172 ppm

3 quarts - 190 ppm - 230 ppm

Bottle (16oz) contains: 33.8 grams total ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) 17,000 ppm, 7.8 grams Phosphorus (P) 20,500 ppm, 9.4 grams Zinc (Zn) 16.6 grams Sulphur (S)

If using the Rislone 4405 a full bottle will bring you close to the desired amount in 13 qts.

racin4ds said:
Yea because those are all common off-the-shelf oils easy to find... :rolleyes:

These would be chemistry we might use in a formulated HDEO.

racin4ds said:
OP said he already had the oil and just needed a boost in ZDDP, not a lesson in rare oils that you can't find for gosh sakes...

But we have to ask the OP why he thinks he needs to add an OTC ZDDP to a formulated and tested HDEO.

Will the OP be able to show any improvements over the formulated HDEO he has on hand?

A short lesson on oil formulations: As ZDDP levels have been lowered other Anti-Wear and Anti-Oxidant chemistry has been introduced to supplant ZDDP. So just because ZDDP levels have been lowered it doesn't mean that new oil formulations are inferior nor do they need aftermarket additives.

Last edited:
The best way to get adequate ZDDP protection in your vehicle is to buy a purposely blended classic car oil. Dumping ZDDP additives in to current spec oils "MAY" upset the chemistry and additive package and you could overdose ZDDP which more is not better. There are plenty of high ZDDP oils available - Castrol makes the GTX Classic, Lucas makes a version - just google it or go to Summit and they sell several brands. Valvoline VR1 is a good over the counter choice as well.

Need to get my oil from 800 ppm to 1000 ppm minimum or slightly more 1200. 13.5 quarts of 5w40 need treatment. can someone recommend a product that can do the job? Thank you.

PS Additive discussion only please. 5w40 diesel oil is hard to come by nowadays and I got ks.Delo CK4 oil which is only 800ppm. Than
It depends on your specific application. If you do not rev up the engine and accelerate (high pressure/temperature) you're asking for troubles from incomplete burning of these ashes, particularly if you have a DI Engine. These are high pressure and added to HDEO in higher ppms for a reason. Having them in excess amount is an evil ground to breed valves issues and all sorts of problems that follow.

I used to get the stp additive in the black gear oil bottle, saw someone say it has redic zinc content. Use sparingly.

Was very common in discount closeout stores a few years back, seemed like they'd never run out, but haven't seen it in a while

Back