Zinc additive question

Hello,
So I’m using Rislone additive for zinc and phosphorous because it helps prevent wear on older engines… they say that over 1400ppm zinc is corrosive so don’t want more than that… my oil (M1 10W-40)without additive is 800ppm zinc and the car’s capacity is 8.5quarts total. So this additive claims to raise it up to 1800ppm from “typical an rated oils” (around 600-700ppm they claim) so I’m thinking at the worst it raises mine by 1200 from 800 to 2000… but I only used 65% of the bottle which I’m thinking reduced the raising effect to .65(1200) = 780 and then I’ve read Rislone products measurements treat engines between 4-6 quarts oil capacity and mine is 8.5 so I do 6/8.5 then times 780= 550.59ppm added to original 800 is 1350.59…. Am I correct?

Thanks for bearing With me.

First off, what engine are we talking about here and how are you using it?

I never recommend supplements of any sorts since engine oil formulas have balanced chemistry that can be adversely affected by pouring in a foreign additive. If it was me, I would ditch the M1 10W-40 and the Rislone and just run M1 FS 0W-40 or M1 FS X2 5W-40 which both have ~1000 ppm ZDDP. However, that's just spitballing because I don't know your application.

Zinc is a consumable additive, generally used in engines with flat tappet camshafts and high pressure springs.
I don't play chemist, I use an oil made for my 60's engines. I like the new Castrol hot rod oil.

Hello,
So I’m using Rislone additive for zinc and phosphorous because it helps prevent wear on older engines… they say that over 1400ppm zinc is corrosive so don’t want more than that… my oil (M1 10W-40)without additive is 800ppm zinc and the car’s capacity is 8.5quarts total. So this additive claims to raise it up to 1800ppm from “typical an rated oils” (around 600-700ppm they claim) so I’m thinking at the worst it raises mine by 1200 from 800 to 2000… but I only used 65% of the bottle which I’m thinking reduced the raising effect to .65(1200) = 780 and then I’ve read Rislone products measurements treat engines between 4-6 quarts oil capacity and mine is 8.5 so I do 6/8.5 then times 780= 550.59ppm added to original 800 is 1350.59…. Am I correct?

Thanks for bearing With me.

Amsoil Z-Rod Engine Oil and forget the Rislone Additive!

Choose a motor oil with adequate ZDDP to meet your needs which will have a right balance between detergents and ZDDP instead of adding additives which might cause adverse chemical reaction. By adding more ZDDP to properly balanced lubricant can also lower the oil BN and therefore reduce the life of oil in service.

Thanks, yes I definitely intend to get better oil next time with zinc already in it…. I just realized this too late. I do change it every 4K mi anyway and oil is rated to 10k… very premature but just in case

First off, what engine are we talking about here and how are you using it?

I never recommend supplements of any sorts since engine oil formulas have balanced chemistry that can be adversely affected by pouring in a foreign additive. If it was me, I would ditch the M1 10W-40 and the Rislone and just run M1 FS 0W-40 or M1 FS X2 5W-40 which both have ~1000 ppm ZDDP. However, that's just spitballing because I don't know your application.
I have a Mercedes’ M116 4.2L v8. It doesn’t recommend lower than 10W-40… the right oil is hard to come by on this car unless I spend $100+ on amsoil and the filters are only good to 5k miles. I tend to agree but I think I didn’t put too much of it. I did an oil analysis before and the oil I use is only 800ppm zinc

1442 on the Zinc, but since this was many years ago, you might want to check with Amsoil ta make sure there were no new formula changes.

I have a Mercedes’ M116 4.2L v8. It doesn’t recommend lower than 10W-40… the right oil is hard to come by on this car unless I spend $100+ on amsoil and the filters are only good to 5k miles. I tend to agree but I think I didn’t put too much of it. I did an oil analysis before and the oil I use is only 800ppm zinc

0w-40 didn't exist when that engine was produced, that's why it doesn't show as a recommended grade. Both oils are xW-40's, so @RDY4WAR's recommendation is solid, and the oil is specifically designed for Euro applications and has been used in 24hr races as well, it's an excellent oil.

Just spit balling here, but would M1 Racing 4T 10w40 (motorcycle oil) work in this situation? It has roughly 1300ppm of zinc and I would assume it would be fine for an engine like that since it can handle transmission loads, high revving abuse, high temps and even clutch abuse for 4-5K miles in a bike. See the link below to access M1's spread sheet for all their oils, 4T is on the last page.

1642017697965.jpg

Just spit balling here, but would M1 Racing 4T 10w40 (motorcycle oil) work in this situation? It has roughly 1300ppm of zinc and I would assume it would be fine for an engine like that since it can handle transmission loads, high revving abuse, high temps and even clutch abuse for 4-5K miles in a bike. See the link below to access M1's spread sheet for all their oils, 4T is on the last page.

View attachment 84189
This isn't some 8,000RPM SFT Windsor, it doesn't need the ZDDP level the OP is desiring. It's already broken in and doesn't have the spring pressure necessary to require anything beyond your typical pedestrian ZDDP levels found in your average oil.

This is a low output (~200-230HP) mill that makes peak power at 5,200RPM. It is not a hotrod.

If your sump is 8.5L and the additive contains 15.6%zinc (15600ppm).
You would use ~240mL to get an 800ppm oil --> 1200 ppm Zinc.
Using the full bottle 325mL would get you to about 1350ppm.

This is based on the yellow bottle. I see that there is a gray bottle, not sure if that is the same, but I think it is.
I'm also assuming its 8.5L + additive, if you backed off the original oil fill volume to make room for the additive it would skew zinc a bit higher.
But that should give you a rough idea.

Last edited:
This isn't some 8,000RPM SFT Windsor, it doesn't need the ZDDP level the OP is desiring. It's already broken in and doesn't have the spring pressure necessary to require anything beyond your typical pedestrian ZDDP levels found in your average oil.

This is a low output (~200-230HP) mill that makes peak power at 5,200RPM. It is not a hotrod.

Absolutely! I would not hesitate to put a 5w40 or 0w40 in something like that!! I would highly doubt that engine is hard on oil, even if driven aggressively. I think I'd run a 5w40 HDEO if it were me since it's relatively inexpensive (especially at almost 9qts) and more than enough protection for something like that.

I just figured if he likes M1, wanted to stick to a 10w40 and wanted the zinc that M1 4T might be an option. An expensive option I'll admit. In my area it's about $10 a qt. Though I haven't checked recently since oil prices have been going up.

Absolutely! I would not hesitate to put a 5w40 or 0w40 in something like that!! I would highly doubt that engine is hard on oil, even if driven aggressively. I think I'd run a 5w40 HDEO if it were me since it's relatively inexpensive (especially at almost 9qts) and more than enough protection for something like that.

I just figured if he likes M1, wanted to stick to a 10w40 and wanted the zinc that M1 4T might be an option. An expensive option I'll admit. In my area it's about $10 a qt. Though I haven't checked recently since oil prices have been going up.

I personally think the 0w-40 Euro is the best all around choice, even though it's not the specific grade he's looking for. It is major overkill for this application, lol.

Yeah 201 HP lol! I initially started using zinc because it has flat tappets and they are known to score on mine.

This is interesting because I have been looking for different oils since my high mileage version is hard to come by. I always get scared that the 0-5w initial viscosity could be too low and damage something. Would 100% use those if it’s ok

If your sump is 8.5L and the additive contains 15.6%zinc (15600ppm).
You would use ~240mL to get an 800ppm oil --> 1200 ppm Zinc.
Using the full bottle 325mL would get you to about 1350ppm.

This is based on the yellow bottle. I see that there is a gray bottle, not sure if that is the same, but I think it is.
I'm also assuming its 8.5L + additive, if you backed off the original oil fill volume to make room for the additive it would skew zinc a bit higher.
But that should give you a rough idea.
8.5 total including zinc and liqui Molly mos2 additive. On the stick it’s close to the top so almost maximum. Thanks for the calculation. I’m using the gray 11oz bottle I think they claim the same

Back